Monday, October 6, 2014

Pivot Point by Kasie West


I can now officially call myself a Kasie West fan, because I’ve loved all of her books I’ve read so far, hopefully I’ll be able to say that after I read The Distance Between Us. I’m giving this book a 7.8/10 stars. I really loved the story and the plot. It may sound confusing at first, but you’ll get it once you read the book and Raziel it was a good book. The storyline was great and the the writing style fun. I’ll admit I wasn’t really in the mood to read this book when I picked it up, but I soon got sucked into the fantastic world that Kasie created. Seriously, I can’t wait to read Slip Second. 
This book is told from the perspective of Addie Coleman. She’s special, she has the ability to search. Meaning that she can see into her future, kind of like divination but she can only see her own future, BUT she can see the different outcomes of her choices, so pretty much Addie always makes the right choice. But one day Addie’s entire life fall apart. Her parents decide to get divorced. Addie’s father is moving out of the supernatural world while Addie’s mother is staying. Now Addie has to make a choice, go with her father or stay with her mother. So Addie does the obvious thing, she searches in the future to see which future will be the best for her. In one future she captures the attention of the hot popular quarterback, and in another future she falls for a cute sweet boy… When each future holds so much for her, which will she choose?
By the Angel this book was surprisingly good, I seriously think you guys should read it if you haven’t, I think you’ll really enjoy it. 
Here’s the real synopsis:
Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier …

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through … and who she can’t live without.

AH! I stayed up till like one in the morning reading this even when I promised myself I’d go to bed early because I had a crap load of homework the next day. Seriously though, this weekend I finished four books and started five. Here are the books I read this weekend: 
Shades of Earth by Beth Revis
Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer
Pivot Point by Kasie West 
Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
And I’m almost done Alienated by Melissa Landers
I’m hoping to get my review up of Under the Never Sky by tomorrow, but of course that’d involve actually writing it and god of olympus I’m behind. I need to do my homework (I’m currently procrastinating whilst my friend/study partner is marathoning reign.) Since I did homework all weekend I felt like I needed a break anyway and as surprising as it may be, blogging is a break for me. I have this blog for you guys so if you have any requests for any books for me to read or any comments or thoughts, I’d love to hear them :). Actually the first part was a lie, I don’t just blog for you guys. I blog 50% for you guys and 50% to let out my inner geek, but seriously I would love to hear your guys’ thoughts on the books I review, comments are welcome.

SPOILERS BELOW FOR PIVOT POINT
At the beginning of this book I thought that she came from a family of searchers, but I was even more intrigued when I saw that everyone had different abilities. I don’t think I’d particularly want Addie’s power, the future is the unknown and I kind of like the surprise of it. l mean it’d be really creepy if I knew who I was gong to marry then I’d act REALLY weird around him, and I’m already socially awkward around boys I like. I really enjoyed the word definitions at the beginning of every chapter, they were pretty entertaining. 
"I like books. They’re pretty," So do I, Addie, so do I. 
Okay I couldn’t help but snicker when I found out the official name of Addie’s ability was DIVERGENCE (um, divergent fans out there? Do you know what this means? It means a extremely intelligent blonde is going to come after her and try to kill her) 
"It would really bring out your eyes." I love how she disguised her eyes to look like they were brown when he said then because then he looked at her eyes and was just like "….crap…" 
I will be honest at first I liked Duke, but I also really like Trevor but I liked Duke more. My guess on who she would choose was Trevor though, but I changed my mind after Laila died, she’d never willingly let Laila die. I also switched to Trevor halfway or so through the book, he’s a really sweet guy, don’t you think? I love him. This book really could’ve been a stand alone, but I’m glad Kasie gave us a sequel because I want to see Addie’s real interaction with Trevor, apparently it’s not so good from what I read from the synopsis of split second. Arg. That one won’t fit on my book shelf, I mean, Pivot Point barely fit. Want to see my bookshelf? No? too bad. 
Can you even see Pivot Point? I don’t think so, it’s very tightly stuffed on top of Unearthly. Yeah, I’m gonna have to start piling books on the floor until I can get some shelves. Eh, yeah, I’ll find some way to get Pivot Point and Split Second together, see, I’m one of those people that HAS to have the series touching. No matter what. Back to the book. 
I loved it when her two fates crossed in a way. The one when she went to see Duke’s game and faintly remembered Trevor from… something and the one where she and Trevor were hanging out at the game. I think her faintly remembering Trevor was one of the first hints that she’d choose staying with her mother/Duke, because it shows that Laila erased Trevor from her memory and it makes sense now, though when I read it I thought it was part of herself, the one living in the present, remembering him from the other path. Even though I found I like Trevor better by this time, I found it really cute when Duke got pissed off at ‘Poison’ for threatening Addie. 
I was laughing in embarrassment for Addie when she friend zoned Trevor, like telling him he was her best friend and everything, seriously girl, you need to work on your social skills, he obviously doesn’t want to be just friends. 
I felt like practically crying at like 12:20 AM when I read the part where she forgot Trevor. Breaking her promise to him. I found it intriguing that Trevor actually thought about what was happening being a search, I certainly wouldn’t think that if I were him. But when he said he wanted her to choose him but if she didn’t to promise she wouldn’t forgot him.. AH! The feels. Thinking back on it, it’s a lot more emotional now that she broke that promise, to save Laila. I seriously got so depressed when I thought about that today in Spanish and then all I wanted to do was go home and reread Pivot Point. 
Bobby. I was not expecting that. Were you? Like, I thought he was creepy and all, but I never thought he’d be the antagonist. Ugh, he’s so… so… I can’t think of a word. Wow apparently I need to expand my vocabulary. (That was reference, any of you get that one? If you can guess what that was based off of I’ll be impressed, feel free to put it in the comments below). I was also surprised to learn that Duke’s ability actually wasn’t telekinesis, but it was mood controlling. 
All in all I found this book fascinating and like I said before, seriously cannot wait to read Split Second. 
(Synopsis for Split Second) 

Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can’t believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She’s always been able to Search the future when presented with a choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too … but not without a price.

When Addie’s dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He’s a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie’s memories … once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don’t want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school—but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila frantically attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot … and a future that could change everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment