Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Stone Cold Touch by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wow. This book certainly meets the Jennifer Armentrout book expectations, aka IT WAS FANTASTICALLY AMAZING. The action scenes were intense and exhilarating while the romance really hit you in the right spot. As usual with Jenn’s books, we have a bucketload of snarky comebacks and remarks, which I particularly enjoyed. The character chemistry was intriguing and the character building was great. Also, you can’t help but get attached to Jenn’s wonderfully created characters . I’m giving this book an 8.5/10, it was an astounding read. (you guys like my all my adjectives? haha) Stone Cold Touch is the second book in the Dark Elements series, the first book is called White Hot Kiss. No matter how romance-y the covers look and how romance based the synopsis sounds, these books are most certainly not centered around the romance. 
The concept for these books is new and quite different from anything I’ve ever read before. Okay so there are these things called Wardens, also known as gargoyles. That might put you off of the series but I promise you, it’s every bit as fun as the Lux books and the Covenant series. The gargoyles protect the earth from demons, so pretty much they’re Shadowhunters who can switch into a stone form and fly without a demonic motorcycle. But the demons are nothing like Cassie’s demons. These demons are… mhmmm. I can give you one word for the demons that will make you want to read these books, Roth. What? That didn’t immediately make you want to buy the book? Huh? I’m confused. Haha, so anyway the demons are pretty much like humans, but, you know, more demonic. Yeah, that was a bad way of explaining, you guys know I suck at summaries. Anyway, Roth is a sexy hot Crowned Prince of Hell, we’ll get back to him later, though. So the Wardens have unveiled themselves to the world, but they were forbidden to tell the humans about the demons so pretty much people think “They’re just like us! Except they are incredibly, inhumanly attractive and can fly and turn to stone!” Except some people are against them and yeah that’s not really important in the first book. 
The main protagonist of this series is Layla, who is part demon and part Warden. How that happened, I have no idea. (haha I do but you’ll have to read the first book to find out) In the beginning of White Hot Kiss she lives with the Wardens, and more importantly, with Zayne, the hot and incredibly protective Warden who is her best friend and also happens to be her long time crush. So you ay be thinking, okay, so she’s like, in love with him, so this is one of those “I’m in love with my best friend but I can’t tell them and they have no idea how will I ever live” books. Yeah, no. Layla’s problem is this, her kiss is deadly. *Cue dramatic music* since she’s half demon, if she kisses anyone she’ll suck out their soul, and get a high, but the high part isn’t really important right now. Can you see the problem now? If Layla kisses Zayne she’ll steal his soul. That’s where my personal favorite of this series, Roth, comes in. Roth is a demon, the Crowned Prince of Hell, if you want to be specific, and since he has no soul… well, he’s completely kissable. Along with the kissable thing, he’s totally hot and has that bad boy attitude that nearly all girls find intensely attractive (except apparently my best friend… how awkward). He also appears to have an interest in Layla. blah blah blah a lot of dramatic stuff happens that I can’t tell you or else that’d be a spoiler and really, White Hot Kiss is just an amazing book so go read it, I promise it’s not centered around the romance (which I wouldn’t particularly mind but whatever). I read this book back in August so I won’t lie, I don’t remember all the specific details so if you want to read my review on that, click my category that says ‘Jennifer Armentrout’ Or “Jennifer Armentrout books” I can’t remember which. 

Oh, and guys! Don’t forget that our favorite author, Jenn, is doing something that’s never been done before. What is that You may ask. Well my friend who hasn’t been on the social network much lately, Jenn is letting US choose who Layla will choose in the last book. Just click here to vote for anyone *cough* *cough* Roth. I mean Zayne is fine but- ROTH. Like I said in my review of White Hot Kiss, I like Zayne as Layla’s friend better than her lover so seriously, go vote for Roth. 

Now, without further ado, let’s get to the spoilers! :D
SPOILERS BELOW 
Ah! I loved this book so much!!!! Very enjoyable, as expected, this is why Jenn is one of my all time favorite authors, she never disappoints. The humor was well, hilarious and the chemistry was just perfect. 
That part when Zayne walks in when Layla is changing. Haha. Don’t forget it was a back bra. 
They said “Okay.” “Okay” twice in this book to each other, should I be worried? Haha, seriously guys, you have to go vote for Roth! Okay, you don’t have to but I’d really appreciate it. 
When Roth returned I just kinda screamed, dropped my kindle, ran around the room for a minute then dropped back down and continued reading. And I may or may not have been laughing and possibly fanning myself (yeah how old fashioned is that?) from ROTH that’s really the only accurate thing I can say about that/. 
Aw and then when Roth said he saved Zayne so Layla could ‘Have him’ askfh fwascihwfashvwd that was so selfless of him and seriously even though I find the bad boy exterior immensely attractive, if they don’t have any other traits like selflessness or caring underneath the exterior (also them being hot to extremes doesn’t hurt) kinda puts even me off. (Haha I just described my type bad boy who’s extremely attractive that uses sarcasm and pushes people away to hide his real self, or something along those lines, black hair and blue eyes certainly helps too.) 
Did any of you guys find it super cliche when Roth pushed her away? It was like, uh, dude, we all know you love her, it’s obvious. Though, their relationship didn’t change that much and their witty banter was unceasingly enjoyable. Honestly, I don’t mind cliches that much anyway. 
"I wasn’t sure what was worse, molesting Roth and having him hide in the bathroom or that I’d tasted a soul." 
Let’s talk about the ending, shall we? OH MY LORDS OF HEAVEN AND HELL that was not expected. The main plot twist I thought was that it WAS Layla and not a Lilin and then I thought the ending would be like Zayne crashing in, Roth and him getting in a fight then Layla leaving with Roth to protect Zayne or something like that. Yeah, most definitely not what I was expecting the actual ending. Sam?! Really? That makes me sad though, even though we didn’t get to know him that well I thought he was cute. A nerdy cute boy is also attractive to me. And seriously think about how Layla and even more, think about how Stacey must feel. That book seriously shouldn’t have ended like that, but kudos to you for the shocking plot twist, Jenn. I seriously CANNOT WAIT UNTIL EVERY LAST BREATH…. And if she doesn’t choose Roth I’ll be increasingly disappointed… but I’ll still love the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment