Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer

Sacrifice is the fifth and final book in Brigid Kemmerer's Elemental Series. I read the first four books back in the beginning of June, I'm not sure if any of you were there back when I put my review up on them but if you were, you'd remember that I enjoyed the first book but then it went kind of down hill from there. Sacrifice was a lot better then Secret, Spirit and maybe Spark, in my opinion, though a lot of my problems with the series didn't go away. The main problem I had while reading this series is that each book is centered around one of the brothers (and Hunter's) life. Each of the books are dual POV one from the brother's (and Hunter's) point of view and the other is from the brother's (and Hunter's) lover/to be lover (or current 'lover'). First off it's very convenient that each brother gets a girlfriend in that short amount of time and second, in the first book you get attached to like Chris and Becca and then you like never hear about them again. I want to know more about them and in most of the books they just get together by the end so you never get to see them together besides tiny little mentions of them here and there. Like in this book Becca is literally mentioned like once maybe twice and Michael's brothers are in a minimal amount of scenes. ALSO we don't even see Quinn or Becca. Ever. Seriously, I want to see them, if you're going to introduce them and let me get attached to them and write more books, Brigid, then you have to give me a little more on them! It was the worst in this book, which I found really annoying, I really wanted to see more of Nick, Chris and Gabriel, mostly Gabriel, in this book. I also at least wanted to see Becca and Quinn. I get that yeah, brothers aren't that connected in their brothers' love lives but I think that Chris would want to have Becca around in that we-might-die-any-second time, don't you think? Like I said before, we also hardly see Chris, Gabriel and Nick in this book, I get why, but  I feel like since their Michael's family we should see them more than we did. Like seriously, we saw more Hunter than the other Merrik boys. 
I'm giving this book a 7.8/10 stars, aside from my large annoyance about not seeing anyone really but Michael, Hannah and Hunter it was pretty good. There was a good mystery in the story and it had some pretty exciting scenes. I think that this world has a lot of potential and that these books were pretty enjoyable but I feel like Brigid needs to work on her story a little bit more. Like this book didn't feel like the last book, I could be wrong in thinking this is the last book, but I'm pretty sure it is so... Okay, maybe I'm also complaining a little about the story because we hardly saw the other brothers in this book too and if you couldn't notice, that really bothered me. But also from Brigid's other books, all her character deaths are really quick so you don't really have time to really see it. Like her characters die in one sentence and then it's pretty much done besides a bit of mourning. 
So anyway that was my half rant on the books, if you read that I might've spoiled you a little, so sorry, but you should read this series because a. Jennifer L. Armentrout (one of the best authors EVER) recommends it b. it has an interesting world and some good action scenes. 

SPOILERS BELOW FOR SACRIFICE


Now I don't have too many notes on this book but I really wanted to mention some of my thoughts to you guys so here they are. 
It was really sad when Michael had to tell the boys that they were going out of his custody for a while and when they were talking about what would happen if a Guide found them I just felt really depressed for the Merriks then. 
I was pretty suspicious of Irish from the beginning, no author will bring in a character as much as Brigid brought in Irish if they don't have a part to play in the story and even though Irish's part was really small, I was pretty suspicious of him being a Guide. I'll say I was close there since he's a fifth. 
From the moment that Hunter was talking about how his Uncle liked distance things like bombs and guns the thought popped in the back of my mind like is his uncle alive? I pushed that thought away because I was like, no that's not possible but... somehow it was. I don't get it though, Jay said something like about how being dead changes you. How in the world did he come back to life? Like did they just bury him alive? But I kind of find it hard to believe they'd miss the part where he was alive so...?
"Then do both." AW that moment though. 
I loved how Hunter pulls out his gun and so does Tyler and Michael's just kinda there like ".... I don't have a gun." 
Back to the quick deaths, Hunter had a really quick death, for being there for all the books it's just like he blew up. Okay. And Calla's death was really quick. Like Calla the last book ended on a 'cliff hanger' of Calla being back but the first time we really hear from her is when she talks for like seven seconds then dies. Um... I feel like Brigid could've done something a little more from Calla there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment