Monday, September 29, 2014

Assassin's Blade & Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Picture
Picture
I think I'm in love with this book series. It's so amazing, fascinating and exhilarating. The plot is riveting and the protagonist is perfect. Celeana is everything you could want in a female protagonist- funny, sarcastic, strong etc. Seriously, if you haven't read this series yet, go read it and if you read Throne of Glass and gave up there TRY CROWN OF MIDNIGHT. And... if you somehow didn't like Crown of Midnight, well, I don't think we can be friends... Haha jk but we'll get along great if you love this series too. I read these two book literally in one day. That's how good they are, these books entrap you in their world and you'll never want to leave. I would give The Assassin's Blade a 9.8/10, I loved that book with all my heart, my soul and my mind. The Assassin's Blade is a bind up of five prequel novellas, and it's amazingly perfect. Two words. Sam Cortland. That's all you need to know to want to read that book. My favorite of the novellas would have to have been The Assassin and the Underworld, but we'll get to that later. I'm giving Heir of Fire a 9/10 stars, it was riveting and exciting in everywhere that counts but there were certain aspects of it that I'll admit, annoyed me. Now that I've got that out of the way, let's discuss the books, shall we?

SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE ASSASSIN'S BLADE


Sam Cortland. Sam. Sam. Cortland. Love. Sam. Sam Cortland. I. Love. Sam. Cortland. Sam. Sam Cortland.
Going into this book, I knew Sam would die. So I tried not to get too attached. I obviously failed. His wit, charm and personality is just impossible to resist. I love Sam so much and it made me so sad when he died. But I have a theory what if Sam actually isn't dead and Arobynn (Assobynn) (How do you spell his name??) or Sam actually faked his death? If Sam did it it would be to protect Celeana from something, and if Assobynn did it it would be to hurt Celeana and probably torture Sam. Sam can't be dead. Right? Right? I don't quite believe this theory, I'll admit, but a girl can dream. Seriously, if Sam actually isn't dead and he comes back in one of the next books, I'll switch to Team Sam and drop Chaol like a hot potato but since he probably won't, I'll stick with Chaol for now. I literally almost cried at Sam's death, my brain was screaming for Celeana to go with him or something because I knew his death was coming up soon. My favorite stories.. hmm. The Assassin and the Underworld, The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, The Assassin and The Desert, The Assassin and the Empire and The Assassin and the Healer.
I would give the Empire a higher ranking but Sam 'died' so... He's not dead. No stop saying that. He's not dead. He can't be.
I loved the Underworld, though. Sam and Celeana's relationship in that book was so cute, when Celeana was drowning and he was screaming for help <3 Sam is my favorite boy of this book series so far and he's going to be hard to beat, boys. I've really wanted to know more about Sam ever since reading Throne of Glass but now I can't decide whether I'm happy to have gotten to know him or if I wish I hadn't. Sarah, that novella about the empire was really heartbreaking. Sam isn't dead.... No.  Me? In denial? Why would you think that?
I really enjoyed the Pirate Lord, you really got to see Celeana before Endovier and it gave you good insight on her relationship with Sam. Sam. Sam. Sam. I love Sam. The Pirate Lord was a lot of fun, and at the end when she's screaming for Sam and he pops up... tehe, I loved that part. The Desert was a pretty fun read too, though when I read Ansel my thoughts immediately jumped to Ansel Elgort. Yeah, definitely not an Ansel of the Elgort category. Were any of you expecting Ansel to do that in the end of that novella? I wasn't, but I'm glad Celeana didn't kill Ansel, that would have left a lasting scar on her. It was so cutely sad how you could tell Celeana really had cared for Ansel, first she couldn't kill her and second, she shot her arrow towards her horse instead of Ansel and gave her 21 minutes instead of 20.
The healer, I didn't really see the point in that novella and if Yrene doesn't show back up in the next books of this series I'm going to say that novella was pretty pointless. That story didn't have very much action in it and zero romance, so I obviously didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other novellas.

Me? crying? No, I'm just allergic to SAM CORTLAND'S FREAKING DEATH!

SPOILERS BELOW FOR HEIR OF FIRE
Where do I begin? Why not start off with talking about Manon? I didn't really like her part, to be honest. I think her part should have been a novella or something because she's a completely new character and her plot has yet to intertwine with our main characters. When they mentioned the Wastelands, my thoughts immediately jumped to Ansel, then they briefly mentioned her. The High King was overthrown by someone who called themselves the High Queen, that's obviously Ansel, I hope she pops back into Celeana's story line, even after she kinda betrayed her.
I liked Abraxos, he was funny, but Manon just annoyed the heck out of me. I quite honestly couldn't wait for her parts to be over when I was reading this book.
My favorite of the three 'parts' of this book would have to be what was going on at the castle. Hearing about Chaol and Aedion... Let's talk about Aedion, shall we? I didn't know what to think of him at first. He was introduced as a douche, a tool and a whore that was betraying his own people using the royal sword. But then you go to that part where Aedion captures Chaol and he yells "Aelin is alive!" and then we see Aedion's POV and by the Angel I felt like crying for Aedion then. Adarlan's Whore. He never minded that title, until now. That's not the exact wording but whatever. It's still heartbreaking. Aedion is defiantly my second favorite male character, I love how loyal he is to Aelin and how much he loved her. I can't even describe how much I wanted to see Aelin/Celeana and Aedion's reunion in this book. I swear if they never see each other again I probably will cry. It was horrible how much Aedion hated himself, I felt so bad for him! All he wanted was to see Aelin take back her throne, his loyalty, gods, that was astonishing. If they don't save Aedion in the next book..... That line "He didn't mind dying. But he would've liked to see Aelin again." Or something like that, I just... can't even... Then when someone said like there is no throne he said "Then I'll build her a new one out of her enemy's bones." His loyalty is defiantly his most defining characteristic and I apologize for how many times I've said loyal in the last paragraph, but that's just the first word that comes to my head when thinking of Aedion. I love him. Sarah, seriously, you already took Sam from me, don't take away Aedion too!
Want to talk Dorian? Let's talk Dorian. Dorian was annoying me in this book, I won't lie. I get that he was hurt by Chaol not telling him about Aelin but it was for his own safety. Then he got together with Sorscha. No. I wanted that ship to sink deep down in the bottom of the sea. Sure, I may not ship Dorian with Celeana, (Though I'm thinking it's possible he might end up with her) but that Sorscha thing. NO. That was my first thought when it said she was in love with him. NO. I did not like that romance at all, and I'll admit that I was happy that she died. Dorian redeemed himself though, when he saved Chaol's life, because in the end, I think that those two will still be friends. I love how touched Dorian was by Chaol calling him his king and that he was exposing himself to save his friend's life. But then he got that mf-ing collar on him. Someone better get that thing the hell off him in the next book or I'll flip my shit. But  I'll flip more if Aedion dies.
Haha there was someone named Murtagh (Uh Eragon fans? Anyone?) Murtagh was my favorite character in Eragon so... I do like my broken boys, lol.
Now to the part you'r all probably waiting for me to talk about, Celeana. Everyone is fawning over Rowan. I'm not crazy about him, but I like his character. What I do not like is shipping him with Celeana. It's Sam or Chaol or MAYBE Aedion. Not Rowan. They have a strong friendship, which, Katytastic compared to parabatai, which I can see, but I could also see them toeing the friendship line a little. No. When Celeana was asking about how she could hurt Chaol if he was truly her mate, it was when I realized that she probably won't choose him, especially after Chaol realized him self that Celeana would  always choose him, but Aelin couldn't. Ugh, my ship in sinking. Sam, come back to me.
I didn't particularly like how the main characters were so spread out in this book, even Dorian and Chaol were kind of spread apart in this book, and they were in the same castle. I definitely enjoyed it a lot more when they were together, though, when they were apart they each got a lot of character growth, which I enjoyed.
So I'm finally caught up on the series and I'll be reading the next book along with you guys! and I seriously cannot wait for it. See you guys next time. xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment