Monday, September 8, 2014

Immortal City by Scott Spear

Picture
This is as one of my friends would say- a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. If you are friends with me on goodreads you'd know that it took me a while, yes I started it on Friday but I didn't actually read anything at all this weekend because of how busy I am. I have a crap load of homework this year, let me tell you. Anyway I really liked this book, especially how it sped up at the end. I would give this story a 7.8/10 stars. I'm buying Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel right after I'm done this review. In the mean time I think I'll either read the Unearthly Trilogy or Rebel Bellesince they're the only two books left from my 'book haul' I have left.
Immortal City is about two very different people (cliche, I know) Maddy Montgomery and Jackson Godspeed. Jackson Godspeed is an angel. In this story Angels are the celebrities, which is really different from any other angel book I've read, and if you couldn't tell I love the concept of angels, nephilim and all that good stuff. So Jackson is really rich and maybe one of the most famous angels out there, and Maddy is a nobody with not a lot of money and not much interest in angels. So when Maddy and Jackson unexpectedly meet and Jackson can't get her out of his head what happens when the two worlds collide? Haha sorry that was a sucky summery. Here's the real one ;)Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them. He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat . . . and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.
You know you want to read it! It's so good! Then we can compare and all that fun chiz.
The world building in this story was great even if there were some things I found slightly cheesy like Angel Tube and such. I loved the characterization and the characters they felt realistic. The story line was great if not a tad bit slow at the beginning but this was a quick read that if I put my time into it I would've read it in one sit down. So if you're bored and have some time? I highly recommend this one. All the books are Immortal City, Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel, the titles don't really go together...... if only it'd been Angel City or something....

SPOILERS FOR IMMORTAL CITY BELOW
So I didn't take too many notes but this is what I'll start out with, my first thought on the antagonist was that it was probably William Beaubourg, but then Mark had the blood on his shirt and I literally almost gasped. Then there was that thing between Kevin and Mark and  was convinced that Kevin was an angel, which means that Maddy was probably an angel too, so I wasn't at all shocked that Maddy was an angel, though Kevin wasn't.... Little disappointed there. This story, like I said before, was very instalove-y but this time I didn't mind, they put a very good convincing back story behind it so it didn't seem as annoying to me.
So Maddy left Jacks at the train station to protect him, it was cutely cliche. I know this probably sounds wrong but I love it when characters do that in books, like they leave to protect the other with out telling them? Though that's not really what happened because Mark, that wanker, was lying about the exceptional rule change.
Let's talk Ethan, shall we? From the start I found him suspicious, I've learned in books not to trust the guy that likes the girl who seems normal, if it's a supernatural book? Toss that word 'normal' off a cliff because he's most definitely not normal. Ethan's back story was so sketchy and when he got all up tight about his mom I was like - SUSPICIOUS PERSON HERE!!!! (Add in the siren noise)
That fight scene, though. It was amazing. Jacks lost the will to live after Maddy pretty much abandoned him so he was letting Ethan and the dark angel beat the crap out of him. Then Maddy comes and tells him how much she loves him and all, and after that, she saves Jacks. When she saw that premonition I totally thought that was real. I've read WAY too many stories where my otp of the book has lost one! WAY too many. Seriously, it's really popular these days. But then it was only a premonition  so she was able to save him. I honest to goodness thought Maddy had died and yeah, Jackson begging her to stay with him was adorably heartbreaking, but it did not make me cry or my eyes to tear up, if it had I'm pretty sure it would have gotten into the eight star territory. Remember, I still think seven is a really good rating. When Jacks realized Maddy wasn't dead ahivffgedubjrgjgrvjn. Does anyone else see a budding romance between Mitch and Gwen? We shall see, I guess. Can't wait to read Natural Born Angel! See you guys next time! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment