Thursday, September 18, 2014

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Picture
Yay, I actually got around to reading this book. I was avoiding it for two reasons, 1. my friend told me she didn't like it 2. I heard the characters were really flat. Not true, the characters are well rounded and very intriguing. Throne of Glass is an 8/10 stars, it was a very impressive book and I just had to put it on my favorites shelf (I had to rearrange two other shelves to get it there!) I seriously cannot wait to buy the other three books out, though one of them is a novella bind up. The names are a little weird but you can get past them, I did.
This story is told mainly from the view of the country's most feared assassin, Celaena Sardothien. She's been captured and in slavery for the last year of her life so when she's offered an out, she takes it. Her 'out' is to compete in a competition to find the king's champion. She must compete against other criminals and win, otherwise she will be sent back to slavery. One problem, the others are being brutally killed off. Why? And who is the culprit? Celeana must find out before she's next.

Synopsis:
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

Go read this book then we can compare ;)

SPOILERS FOR THRONE OF GLASS BELOW


I have very few notes on this book but here are my thoughts,
First off, how does she not like fish? What is this?
As much as I like Dorian, I think I want Chaol to end up with Celeana, the moments they had together just touched me so much. When he gave her that ring I literally spasmed out so much I hurt my calf muscle by stretching it wrong! Yes, reading is a dangerous sport, lol.
I had three suspects for who was killing people off the king, the princess, or the duke and Cain. I was 75% right. Since this book takes place over a long extensive time period, things seemed close to me, but I often forgot it was weeks and months. So I guess it makes sense that Celeana forgot about Cain cleaning up those runes, but I remembered. Also the thing about Pelor's poison comment was forgotten by me, as soon as I heard poison test my mind immediately jerked to him.
Finally! A female protagonist who gets her period!
I loved how Dorian decided to read that romance book just because Chaol wouldn't.
I really liked Nox is he ever going to show back up again? I hope so, he was too good of a character to just toss away.
When Chaol offered his sword to Celeana adelriorijogi I would've squeaked so loudly if not for me being sick and having the worst sore throat and cough ever.
"Shut your mouth" sounded ridiculous, why didn't Celeana just say Shut up?
Sorry, I didn't take many notes, but I'll be back soon with a hopefully longer review on Daughter of Smoke and Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment