Saturday, September 13, 2014

Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel by Scott Spear

Picture
Picture
These are the last two books in the Immortal City Trilogy. If you want to see what this Trilogy is about, scroll down a few reviews and look for Immortal City by Scott Spear. ;) It's a really good book series so I highly recommend it to you. All in all I would give this whole series a 7/10 stars, while individually I gave Immortal City a 7.8/10, Natural Born Angel 7/10 and Battle Angel 7.9/10. This series was a lot of fun to read but Immortal City took a little to get into, Natural Born Angel I found myself getting annoyed at the protagonists a lot and the beginning of Battle Angel was annoying AF. And then the end of Battle Angel, it was reasonable, but seriously Scott? That was a horrible ending! You can't just do that to your fans! I was trying to get myself to cry there, it didn't work though. Also, why couldn't I find Battle Angel in hardcover? f you know please comment because for some reason Battle Angel was only selling in paperback so I have the first two books in hardcover and the last one in paperback. It's troublesome.
This was a really fun series, not my favorite angel/nephilim/demon book series I've ever read (*cough
* Shadowhunter Chronicles) but very enjoyable and short. I was able to get through both Natural Born Angel and Battle Angel today, after getting my new shipment of books in yesterday. Well, most of them, I do believe I'm still missing
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
and
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Right now what I have left to read is
Rebel Belle 
Across the Universe
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods (DOESN'T FIT ON MY BOOKSHELF IT'S SO BIG)
On The Fence
and tomorrow I'm starting The Iron Trial, which I'm really excited to read since it's partially by Cassie! If it's bad, I'm going to blame it on Holly because I haven't read any of her books lol, jk.
These are some of the books I think I might buy in my next haul (not including the sequels to some of the books I got if I like them)
Under the Never Sky
The Selection (I hear America is annoying AF?)
The Infinite Sea
Better Off Friends

(Look at my Goodreads TBR)
Comment if you want to recommend me a good book or just contact me using the contact page ;)

Okay let's get back to the Immortal City books so I can go to bed shall we?

SPOILERS TO NATURAL BORN ANGEL


Let's start off with Tom freaking arse pissed me off. Like really. I find it embarrassing and irritating that we share the same last name. Like Scott you could have picked anything for Tom but you choose my last name when, when I would read this series I would so clearly be Team Jackson? I mean Jackson has blue eyes and dark hair, how could I not be all for him? If you're going to make a love triangle introduce both points in the first book, well, if it's a trilogy, otherwise you don't have enough time to get attached to the other point. Actually, I don't want more time with Tom anyway, whatever. Tom was a nice guy, don't get me wrong, he just annoyed the heck out of me because he was trying to move in on Maddy. It was okay for Cassie's love triangles/whatever in The Mortal Instruments because she has six books and they're all super long so you get time to adjust to the characters, but if it's a trilogy, it's just not enough time to get to know the second point if you introduce them in the second book. Adrian Ivashkov, if you were in Vampire Academy you'd make that book ten times better and I liked that book how it was.
Ugh, as I said before this book was just annoying. Maddy was getting caught up in the life of fame and poor Jackson was feeling totally left back in the dust, especially because of his broken wing. When they were having that passionate make out session and Maddy picked up her phone I just wanted to scream at her.
"A pain shot through her back" She's like wondering what's happening. What do you think is happening, idiot? Your wings are growing.
I found myself wanted a lot more of Jackson in this book because we don't see him as much as we do in Immortal City, I also wanted more Jackson and Maddy in this book, it would have made it a lot better.
When Tom kissed Maddy, I got so mad at him. She's obviously taken, and I don't have any respect for him if he's going to move in on somebody else's girl.
"It was different because I loved you."  :( That line just... my heart broke for Jackson even if he had been acting a little like an arse lately too.
Sorry I don't have a lot of notes on this book..

SPOILERS TO BATTLE ANGEL BELOW


Ugh when I read that she chose Tom. I slammed the book. Which was a shame because since it's a wimpy paperback it didn't take it as well as a hardcover would. How could she choose Tom after all she'd been through with Jackson? The thing between Maddy and Tom was definitely instalove. Remember when I said it was okay that Jackson and Maddy had a kind of instalove because it was believable and they went through a traumatic situation together? Well Tom and Maddy's just wasn't really that believable. I feel like they should have had more time, at least introduced Tommy boy in the first book! Their instalove just bothered me so much in this book, they just didn't have enough time and explanation for their 'love'. 
"Betrayal is worse for the betrayer."
-Madison Montgomery Godright
Then Maddy after saying she chose Tom, said in front of Jackson, that she loved Tom THEN dumped Jackson. I was so pissed at Maddy at that moment. I wanted to hit her really badly, like you don't even understand. My heart really broke for Jackson then. I just wanted to murder Maddy for doing that to Jackson, she could have at least found a more diplomatic way of breaking it off with him, I mean if she has all those honors classes she can't be that dumb.
I guessed very early on that Gabriel was controlling the demons (Sound familiar Lux fans?) So when we found out that he was controlling the demons, as you may have guessed I was less than surprised.
When Jackson came with his little band of merry angels to save the humans even after how Maddy broke it off with him aiowfhdssdfjifvcd he's just such a great guy, unfortunately we can't all get our dream hot boy. (Daeeeeemon, Jacey boy, I will find you (She says creepily) lol jk)
Another thing that pissed me off more than it should have? Tom getting his own Point of view in this book. That was not okay. I just did not like Tom. Not at all. I liked him as Tom, KINDA, but I didn't like him as Jackson's competition.
By the Angel (Literally) Jackson saying goodbye to Maddy because he thought he was going to die. That was just so emotional for me and them. That proves he's a good guy, because he was still willing to forgive her after everything that happened, and he saved Tom. Good. Guy. If you're against that idea..... why???? Whats wrong with you??? Just kidding.... kinda.
Tom's death was really quick and kind of unbelievable, I guess that's kinda how death works in real life though, because Maddy was really impacted by it after.
Jackson and Maddy's brief 'back together' bit was so cute, I really wish they had more time together though. I see how it's fitting that they go back to heaven, but I wish Jackson would have been able to stay on earth with Maddy. Like physically. That ending was upsetting for me. How she saw him in the pictures and he was always 'with' her? I just didn't like that. It just made me feel kind of empty. I want to see a story about when she dies that Jackson leads her to heaven and she's rewarded for being so helpful and good in her life then she and Jackson get their happily ever after without Tommy boy interrupting. Yeah, I wanna see that.
Sorry for the short reviews, I'm really tired, I stayed late last night blah blah blah but I felt like I should get these reviews up so I can spend tomorrow doing homework, reading The Iron Trial, making chocolate mousse, a double batch of my signature cookies, and a triple batch of muffins. Busy day tomorrow, huh? Ugh, I forgot to bring my lit book home so I'm gonna have to do it Monday night even though it's due Tuesday....
Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment