Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Unearthly Trilogy by Cynthia Hand

    Picture
    I real enjoyed this book series, even though I'm not power reading right now, I was able to finish it in about a day in a half. A nice quick exciting read. Seriously, if I didn't have school and homework I probably would've finished this trilogy in one sitting. Only about 1,286 pages for the whole series. (Psst this trilogy made it onto my favorites shelf like a lot of books I've read recently, I had to kick a few off to make room, that's how good this series is) If you haven't been able to figure out, I love angel/demon books. Nephilim, angels, demons all that stuff is right up my alley, especially if it has a heart pulling love triangle in it, which this book trilogy did have. I avoided reading this book series for a while because... well, I'm not really sure why, I just never felt like reading it. Now that I finally got around to it I am kind of regretting reading Reboot and Rebel first. This trilogy was exhilarating, fun and amazing. I wasn't too crazy about the names- Clara, Jeffery, Tucker, Wendy... They're all such, I don't know, plain, normal names, I'm used to things a little more out there, like maybe Clary or Jace, haha not that I'd want Clara to be named Clary that'd get confusing. Though, I liked Christian from the beginning, first off I have a good experience with Christians (*cough* Christian Ozera) I thought I was going to be all for Christian from the beginning. And then I met Tucker. He's not what I expected. I'm not sure if any of you guys watch the show Baby Daddy but there's a character in that named Tucker, and he might be one of my lesser favorite characters in the show, I find him kind of annoying so the name Tucker isn't one of my favorites. But this Tucker is really different from that Tucker. I ended up liking both guys, but Boundless really pulled me towards one of them sadly she chose the other guy. Not exactly sadly but it was kind of depressing.
    The covers don't describe how wonderfully awesome this book series is. Seriously, it's a girl in a bunch of different strapless dresses in pink, purple and blue. My favorite character.... I don't have one which is a little weird for me but I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book series.
    Like I said before, I really like angel books, not that I don't like other book genres, I'll read almost any book genre as long as I hear good reviews about them. As all angel books, this is a different twist on the Nephilim and such. It's not the total different like the Sweet Trilogy, but it is pretty different from anything I've ever read about Nephilim. First off they have wings. How cool is that? So the wings colors vary depending on the angel's soul. If they're black then they're fallen angels and if they're perfectly white they're angel angels. Most of the Nephilim have variations of white to gray. I'm not sure I've ever read a Nephilim book where the Nephilim have wings, in Immortal City Jackson has wings, but he's a full on angel. I loved that in this book they could fly, especially since it came in handy quite a few times. All the characters were pretty dynamic, I loved watching them change and grow up. Like a lot of books, Clara starts her relationship with Tucker through his sister, Wendy and then later on Wendy fades out and becomes less important. It especially reminded me of Daemon, Dee and Katy except it was more monumental for Dee and Katy then it was for Wendy and Clara since they weren't as close as Katy and Dee. But Daemon though, mmmm.
    Clara is a Nephilim, a quarter angel and three quarters human. I would said their official word for it but I don't remember how to spell it. Every Nephilim has a purpose which is where they get visions of some type of task that God assigns them to do. Clara's purpose seems to be in Wyoming, so her mom packs them up and they move. When Clara goes to school there she's meets the boy of her dreams, I mean visions. Christian Prescott. She's sure that she is supposed to save him or be with him or something but she can't seem to figure it out. Along the way she meets Tucker Avery, he's a jerk at first but she begins to see the other side of him over the summer. Which will she choose? Destiny or the unknown? Wow, that really reminds me of when I was reading the Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout lol. Anyway I really enjoyed this series- here's your real synopsis:

    In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
    Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

    Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

    As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

    Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart

    Sounds good right? I would give the first two stars 7.9/10 stars (high rating coming from me) and the last book an 8/10 stars, the last book was perfectly paced and more exciting than the last two, though the last two were very enjoyable.
    Go read this series and then we can compare! :D

    SPOILERS BELOW FOR UNEARTHLY 


    From the beginning I thought that Christian was a Nephilim, I have no idea why, I just did. I'm always suspicious of what books throw at me these days. So I wasn't very surprised when he actually turned out to be a Nephilim. I guessed that she was his 'purpose' too. And I was right. Yay.
    I never expected Angela to be part angel, though. Even though her name literally has the word 'Angel' in it.
    I loved both sides of the love triangle- "Save me a dance, okay?" Afwihfhncs And then when I found out that Chrissy and Clara were going to prom together that got another akjbdaffuhfhfifsh. But then Chrissy kind of chose Kay over Clara at Prom so.... I originally thought that maybe both Tuck-a-doodle-doo and Chris were both Nephilim and that one was a black wing and the other a normal angel and it might be like a fight between good and good/evil type thing. Nopes, Tucks is just a normal human being.
    I'll admit the beginning of this story started a little slow,  but after a while I got pretty into it, hence the 7.8 stars. Another thing I'll admit, I was texting my friend when reading Unearthly- she was having some life problems- so I didn't notice that the pages flipped to the end. So I read the end and grabbed the second book then when out for grocery shopping. I had no idea what was happening at the beginning of Hallowed so I stopped reading about two pages in, figuring out what happened. But then again I got majorly spoiled, sadly enough.
    Did anyone else find it funny the play Oklahoma! in Wyoming?
    I was laughing so hard when Clara was reading Wendy's note and she says 'Tucker is your birthday gift' it was hilarious. AWWWW when Tucker was asking her about Christian and thinking 'Why don't you see me?' I just got a gigantic helping of the feels there, I couldn't help but feel so bad for Tucker! though it seems that she did end up choosing Tucker in this book but then again, two more books to go.
    Did anyone else suspect that Jeffery's purpose had something to do with Clara's? I liked Jeffery in the start but then he sort of got how fifteen-year-old boys do with their older sisters- jerkish. But I thought maybe Jeffery would turn into a black wing in this series, it seems like the harsh thing an author would do to us readers.
    I felt so bad for Christian when he finally asks Clara out on a date and he declines because she's with Tucks. I just feel empathy for these characters and that had to be embarrassing for him.

    SPOILERS FOR HALLOWED BELOW


    Like I say for everything when I like both the boys in the love triangle- I like both boys..... I'll take which ever one is rejected! (Hey Seth, you were always my favorite......) It looked like Chris was going to loose the battle in the beginning of the book, by the end I wasn't so sure. But seriously, I'm fine with taking Chrissy, mmhmmmm......
    Like I said before I had a theory of Jeffery becoming or maybe being a dark wing, and when they said that a fire was purposefully started I was just thinking it's OBVIOUSLY Jeffery he was in the woods, what else was he going to be doing? I mean seriously if my mind could've jumped to that conclusion instantaneously it shouldn't have taken them so long to find out.
    I knew that Tucker most obviously wasn't going to die, he's a point in the love triangle, we have to at least wait until the last book for him to die. So my next guess was her mom, and I was right. Which was really depressing because I didn't really want to be right, but her mom's death really helps Clara to mature and grow.
    Another thought I had was is Samjeeza Clara or Jeffery's daddy? Nope! Their dad is a full on angel, Michael, actually. But whatever... at least I could tell they were special.....
    It was hilarious when Tucker was telling  Clara about what his mom told him about having sex before marriage. That apparently 'his junk would turn black and fall off' I was laughing way too hard at that part.
    Then there was this part where I was laughing even harder
    "I said...hello."
    "And then I..."
    "Then you dropped to the floor like I'd hit you over the head with a baseball bat."
    I was laughing even typing that. Chrissy is so cute, but then again, Tucker is too.
    And then when Mr. Avery walked in on Tucks and Clara sleeping together. Too good. It was just too good.
    "I never really got the whole love triangle thing" Isn't it the best when the protagonist or someone in the story acknowledges that there's a love triangle? I've read like two books where that happens.
    The confrontation between Tucker and Christian after her mom's death was pretty intense. Let's face it though, if it really came down to it, no matter how strong Tucker is, Christian would probably always win thatfight because he's a Tripleair or however you spell it. then again a Quartarus could probably win too, it's their angel blood, nothing to do with their personality.
    I knew that Jeffery started the second fire but I didn't get why until he was yelling at Clara about how she 'stole his purpose' I felt really bad for both Clara and Jeffery there, just because I could almost feel their raw emotions. I also felt really sad and empty when Jeffery ran away.

    SPOILERS FOR BOUNDLESS BELOW


    I loved when she mentioned her Vampire Academy book, I'm not sure whether it's because Mead and Hand are friends or because Mead reviewed this book series well (another reason why I read this series). Anyway, I loved that little reference since I love the Vampire Academy series it makes sense.
    "I would die to protect you." afilvfeijfeifeihedviheveiveevevefi That line though. If you didn't already tell, Christian really pulled me over to his side in this book, even though I knew that in the end, she'd always choose Tucker. Chris is just so sweet, protective loving and kind. Him and Clara just worked really well together. I liked his line about finding her in the next hundred years or so. I hope he does, he deserves some happiness after all he's been through with her, I really wish Christian was in the epilogue, it would make me feel so much more content with the series. I think authors should have a pick here for _______ and here for ________ as alternative endings for either side of the love triangle, of course I only think that when they don't choose who I want them to.
    Christian and Clara's date was going so well and so adorably that I literally got pissed off at her when he was leaning in to kiss her and she was freaking arse thinking about Tucker. Don't get me wrong, I still like Tucker, but I still feel like Christian and Clara are the perfect match. Though, I knew all along that she'd choose Tucker because a) the girl always chooses her first love in a triangle (except for ONE book I've read) b) She'd be going along with fate if she chose Christian and we all know in books, the protagonists prefer to give fate the finger instead of going along with what it says c) she kept thinking of home then showing up at Tucker's barn d) it was just obvious she'd choose Tucker even after all the things Chris has done for her. Like I said before, I do really like Tucker, but in love triangles its not just about who you like (though a lot of it is) it's also about how well they fit with the protagonist or whoever the two people are quote on quote fighting for. I forgot to add- I was silently screaming when Chris asked her on a date and she said yes.
    Did anyone else think maybe, at first, that Phen was Asael? I did, but I figured out Phen worked for Asael when I read that he just left her. And then Asael is both Ange's and Chris's daddy. Okay then. Unexpected on the Chrissy side.
    I know I get all protective and on the side of the point of the triangle I ship all the time, but did any of you, even you Tucker people- feel so bad for Christian when he walked in on Clara and Tucker talking when he came over with a movie? My heart just broke for him then and there.
    She and Christian literally said "Okay." "Okay." They're so meant to be together. Maybe I'll write a story about how they get together later in life.
    Oh my gods this pissed me off so much. When Lucy said she'd hurt Clara personally, why didn't Clara's mind immediately jump to Jeffery?! Obviously she was going to go after Jeffery! First off she was DATING Jeffery Second it was obvious she had influence over him third where else would she go?! I can't believe it took her that long to think about her little brother, that really pissed me off. I figured Jeffery was either dark, dead or in hell. Which he was.
    Another thing that pissed me off, she practically forced hell upon Christian. He's going all this way along with her and then when he says going into hell is crazy and he doesn't want to do it Clara gets mad and calls him a coward? She had no right to do that, seriously, she did kind of force him to go because he'd never be able to live with himself if she went alone and he knew that. Ugh. It's a free country you know, Clara.
    I guessed that Clara would get to meet her mom again. It was foreshadowed in this book or the last book, so I knew that Margret wasn't gone from the story yet, nor would she ever be- she was a key instrument in Clara's life was/is.
    This has to have been my favorite line in the book series-
    "I love you. Can you feel that? You. Not some destiny I think I'm called to. You. I'm with you. My strength. My soul. My heart."
    That gives me so many feels I almost feel like crying. It's just such a good line, how could you not fall in love with someone who says that to you?!
    The moment I most liked Jeffery was when he rejected Lucy. It was an amazing moment that went down into the world's most important history of hell.
    "Gave him a few puffs I'm sure neither of them will ever talk about again." lol. I still am feeling really bad for Christian since only finished this book like two hours ago it kind of makes sense. I really do want to see Christian and Clara get together in the future. Like seriously badly. Somebody please have written a fan fiction about it. If not I may have to write my own.

    (SPOILERS TO THE INFERNAL DEVICES LOOK FOR THE SPOILERS OVER SIGN)

    I really wanted to see in the epilogue something like the end of Clockwork Princess where Jem and Tessa meet up and they get together. Tessa got both boys because she lived forever, WHY CAN'T CLARA JUST GET TOGETHER WITH CHRIS?!

    (SPOILERS OVER)

    As I've said before, I would be a lot more content if she at least had more than a mention of Christian in the epilogue.
    See you guys once I read Rebel Belle.
    Xoxo
    (Looking down)
    I could not agree more at the moment.
    Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment