Saturday, August 2, 2014

Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver

Picture
Picture
Okay so this Dystopian Trilogy is pretty amazing, I loved it but there was just a few things that annoyed me. I would rate this series a 8/10 stars, pretty good on my rating scale (7-10 is always good on my rating scale) So in these books love is the plague so Lena, the protagonist, does the obvious thing, she falls in love.
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

Lena is really annoying to start out with, but through the books I get to like her more and more.
It's really good so if you haven't read it go read it now to avoid the spoilers! :)

SPOILERS FOR DELIRIUM BELOW


I felt really bad for Grace, Carol thinks she's stupid because she can't talk but she can, she just chooses not to.
The first main thing that stood out to me about this society was that they DID NOT GET TO CHOOSE WHAT THEY MAJORED IN, not sure if any of you noticed that, but it bothered me.
I really liked Hana from the beginning, she had that rebellious attitude that I enjoy reading about, Lena on the other hand not so much. I hated how Lena completely flipped out at Hana for LISTENING TO ILLEGAL MUSIC. She was such a goodie two shoes in the beginning.
Haha when the cows came in, that was funny, and I KNEW from the start that the boy laughing on the balcony was her love interest, and look, I was right.
I really like Grace, she was so cute, especially how she's sleep next to Lena because she could tell she was having a nightmare.
Alex was really cute too, like he'd see Lena around and notice her, and he left her a note 'hi :)' I don't know why but I found that cute.
I guessed Alex was an invalid because when she mentioned them he flinched and a few lines later I was proven to be right. I don't get why Lena was being so mean to him when she found out he was an invalid though, actually I do, but he was nice and all so she didn't have to be so mean about it.
AW when he left her that other note 'I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.' THAT WAS SO CUTE.
Even though it never says it, I'm willing to bet that Alex was on the balcony waiting Lena's second evaluation.
I really hated watching Hana and Lena's friendship start to crack and break apart, like there's already enough of that in real life, no need to have to go through it again.
It was so obvious that during the party with the raid that Alex was going to save Lena, and he did, though I was worried about Hana since we didn't hear about her. So the way that Lena starts liking Alex is after they make out while he's shirtless, hmm, I can understand that.
So Hana called Lena's home phone a bunch of times to talk to her but Aunt Carol picked up every time, what I don't understand is that is mentions Lena has a cell phone, so why didn't Hana call that?
It's cute how touched Hana is that Lena would go to the party to warn her of the raid, I would willingly do that for any of my friends and I'm glad that Lena did too, though, she wasn't much help.
I'm happy that Lena and Hana were good after Hana finds out about the raid-party thing, and jeez things were getting heated up between Alex and Lena pretty quickly (I'm so temped to type Alec instead so sorry if that happens!)
I was so sure that something would go wrong when they were coming back from the Wilds the first time, but luckily for them nothing did. It was obvious that Alex and Lena were eventually going to get found out, authors always do that type of thing, so eventually it's not a surprise.
I never really believed that Lena's mom was dead, most authors enjoy putting plot twists into the book like that. AW when Alex and Lena said I love you to each other in the alley? SUCH a cute moment. I really wanted Lena to tell Hana that she was leaving to go to the Wilds and for Hana to go with her, sadly only half of that happened. I'm not sure if I could just leave without having at least one of my best friends come with me to be there for me. Though, I'm not sure if I could just leave without telling anyone period, actually, if my family was like that, yes I could, but I'd take Grace with me.
Okay, so Jenny, sounded like the most annoying cousin you could ever have always thinking she knows better than you. I don't think I could live with her without slapping her in the face at least once a week. I hate it when people just automatically assume they're better than me. 
Seriously did they really have to tie Lena up to the bed? They could just lock her in her room and bar the windows. When Hana came to visit Lena it was really cute, though I got pretty pissed at Hana later after I read Hana. I guessed that Alex wouldn't go with her, but I didn't think he was going to get shot. Like I COULDN'T tell if he were dead or alive! I was pretty sure he wasn't dead because authors don't pull that crap until the last book. But then I watched Christine's book talk video and was like wait- back up, he's dead, what? But I still didn't quite believe it. I had a kind of empty feeling inside of me after I finished this book.
I would rate Delirium an 8.9/10 stars, it was a great book, I really enjoyed it.

SPOILERS FOR HANA BELOW 


So as soon as I finished Delirium I immediately bought Hana, Pandemonium, Requiem, Annabel and Raven, I just knew I was going to like them.
I thought that in this book that Fred sounded nice enough, yeah I changed my mind later about THAT thought. So Steve was kind of like Hana's summer fling, I could tell that he was just using her from the start, because of the way he was treating her, just trying to have sex with her, but I felt bad for Hana when she figured that out.
Lena and Hana's friendship already meant so much when you read it from Lena's point of view, but when you add Hana's to it, it just makes it that much more emotional that they got separated.
Okay, feel free to tell me I'm wrong here but in the book they say that Angelica is a Jr. so why in Raziel's name did she get the cure? Well, maybe they found out she's lesbian, but I don't think they did....
I liked this book in the beginning because it was pretty much a rushed version of Delirium from Hana's perspective. I thought it was funny that Hana felt ugly next to Lena and Lena ugly next to Hana, I have no idea if that's how my friend's feel with me, some how I doubt it.
'I have the sudden urge to kick him in the back of the head.' Lol.
UGH the at the ending I literally though WAIT- WHAT?! I went back and read the last two paragraphs so many times. I would've expected that from the old Lena, but defiantly not HANA.
7.6/10 stars.

SPOILERS FOR PANDEMONIUM BELOW 


I wasn't sure what to think of Raven to start out with, but I ended up liking her, I loved the way she was in charge of everyone and how they listened to her, she kinda reminded me of Maryse Lightwood. So I thought that the boy smirking at Lena was the third point in this series love triangle, but nope, turns out Hunter's gay. I didn't really like how the book went from PAST to NOW. Because just as it gets interesting in NOW, it switched to PAST then when it gets interesting in PAST it switched to NOW. It was rather annoying in an intriguing way.
I could tell, though, from the moment she mentioned Julian that he was the third point in the love triangle, no doubt. I still had not lost hope that Alex was still some how alive and this thought came over my head WHAT IF HE'D BEEN ACTUALLY CURED?? Yeah, totally random thought as we first read about Julian. Then we hear about how Julian and Lena are kidnapped together, they weren't kidnapped for THAT long so they have a sort of insta-love and I get where it comes from , since they were both in that situation together and all so that is an instalove I can agree with, unlike with Shatter Me. The thought that Raven and Tack arranging the attack (ugh rhyming) crossed my mind while they were kidnapped, why else would they be fighting and why else would Tack have given her the umbrella? And yeah, sadly I was right. But the escape seen was pretty awesome, we really get to see HOW much Lena has changed from her old self.
I was getting a big dish of the feels when Raven was telling Lena that story about how she found Blue and all, BECAUSE BLUE WAS DYING D:. It was just plain out depressing.
I didn't really get why, when Lena was washing up that when Julian came in she let him see her half naked, I just don't see why she'd do that and what the point of that was. I guess in this book series the characters seeing each other half naked helps them fall in love.
I thought, huh, what if Julian's dad somehow made Julian get his brain tumor and for his brother to die, but nope, just a coincidence. There is a spelling error in this, it says that Hunter helped carry Blue but then it says they hadn't found them yet. I could tell, as everyone else could, that she was already starting to fall for Julian, I don't know which boy I like better honestly, Julian or Alex, heck, whichever one Lena chooses I'll just take the other.
"I want to know with you." AWWW JULIAN. He's like a little innocent puppy with no real knowledge of the world.
I guessed that the woman who saved her was her mother, like who else would treat her like that? But the question is why didn't she tell Lena that?
When Lena went to save Julian, then Raven showed up there and she broke through the glass adnwfoirwbfiksnbwi that was intense. Then we hear about a boy in Portland asking for her mom and I'm just thinking ALEX FINALLY, you see, I've been waiting for him to show up for the entire book.
So this is my note after I finished Pandemonium- ALEX!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT HE WAS GONE I NEED THE NEXT BOOK. NOW. HOW IS HE CHANGED?! DOES HE NOT LIKE HER ANYMORE?! NO OF COURSE HE STILL LIKES HER BUT WHAT DOES THE 'DON'T BELIEVE HER' MEAN?!!!!
needless to say I started the next book ASAP. 9/10 stars.

SPOILERS FOR RAVEN BELOW


Honestly for this book I just wanted to be done it so I could start reading Requiem, I mean after the ending for Pandemonium, could you blame me? I did like Raven's point of view about saving Julian, though. Here's the note I wrote about it
'Ah, Raven's POV on saving Jules. I JUST WANT TO HEAR ABOUT WHAT'S WITH ALEX !!!! I'M GOING TO HAVE A HEART ATTCK!!!! NO JOKE!!! I'M ALREADY HYPERVENTILATING!!!' .....
I loved how we found out that Tack's name was Michael. And I especially loved watching Raven and Tack's relationship grow and the story of them.
I was really shocked to find out that Raven was pregnant.
7/10 stars, it's not this book's fault I was anxious (to say the least) to get to Requiem.

SPOILERS FOR REQUIEM BELOW


So I knew Alex would be changed, but I was so confused about what happened to him. I just wanted to KNOWWWWWW.
Did anyone else find it surprising how they changed the Story of Soloman??
So this book is told from Hana's POV and Lena's POV. I found it totally depressing how Hana is after she got the cure, she used to be this rebellious fun girl and now she's calmed down, older, mature and I didn't like it, like I said before, I hate it when friendships fall apart. I mean, I was still mad at Hana, sure, I was pissed off that she turned them in, but I didn't hate her. I was sorta waiting in this book for her to get more rebellious, but it didn't exactly happen :( I wish she wasn't cured it makes me sad to think about how drastically Hana changed.
I knew Alex would be out when she went to walk around camp, but then he told her he didn't love her any more (my BS detecter went off there) and what happened to him and I felt so bad for Alex. I think he told her he didn't love her anymore because he saw her with Julian and it hurt him, he also probably thought that Julian was the better choice for her and that he maybe made her more happy.
Haha I wrote this 'Mmm. Someone's jealous of Coral and it's not Julian'
So I really did NOT like Fred in this book, he was an arse and a jerk. I NEED YOU TO BE WITH ME ONE HUNDRED PERCENT Ugh that was only the beginning go it.
So if you all didn't think Alex telling Lena that he didn't love her anymore was BS than it becomes obvious that it was BS when he got pissed at Lena for jumping into the fight to save Coral. Someone who doesn't care does't get pissed off when you jump into dangerous situations.
It was also obvious that Julian and Alex didn't like each other much, love triangles are often like that, well, maybe except for the whole Jem, Tessa, Will thing- You take her! No I can't hurt you like that! You take her!
I really liked the new Lena, who can fight and is willing to rebel, she's a lot more likable than good two shoes Lena.
Okay so I could tell something was wrong with Lu, but SHE GOT CURED?! REALLY?! Ugh. yeah don't like her anymore. She freaking called ten thousand soldiers there -_-
Then we go back to Hana and we find out that Fred did something to Cassie -_- not cool Fred, not cool.
So Julian and Alex are drunk so they decide to fight, and ALEX BROKE JULIAN'S NOSE, yet somehow I still like Alex AND Julian. I didn't like that Alex broke Julian's nose but I also didn't like that Julian attacked Alex as he turned to walk away, you don't do that. Unless they're like evil, which Alex is not. I got pretty mad at Julian for that.
You know, I guessed that Fred might've killed his father, because he so obviously wanted to be Mayor very badly so whywouldn't he kill his dad? He's already a psychopath why not add murderer to it?
By the Angel when Lena found that note from Alex 'Forgive me' oh, Raziel, that gave me a crap load of the feels. I don't know why, but this book series gave me the feels every turn.
I got MORE feels when Hana saw Alex in Portland, seriously these books were killing me with these feels.
Then Lena's being an idiot and like wondering about Alex, OF COURSE he still loved you, you naive girl it was so obvious! He just wanted better for Lena, seriously Alex, do you know how cliche that is?
Just like the Wilds changed Lena they changed Julian too, he's a lot more.. rougher now I guess.
Oh, by the angel, when Raven got shot I was FREAKING OUT. Like NO NO NO Raven can't be dead! She's pregnant! What about the baby?!!!!!
"I don't want you screwing everything up." OKAY FREDDIE YOU ARE ON ADAM KENT LEVEL OF ARSE A-R-S-E.
WHEN LENA SEES ALEX, I was just like 'squeaking' and forgetting to breath at that point.
"I'll find you. I won't let you go again. " Okay right there I died of the feels. DIED.
Then pretty much after that the book ends.
YOU CANNOT DO THAT TO US LAUREN! THAT's ILLEGAL! (Okay should be illegal) SHE NEVER ACTUALLY CHOSE WHICH BOY SHE WAS GOING TO BE WTIH! THAT IS NOT OKAY! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO ALEX, JULIAN, LENA, TACK, THE CURE, HANA, EVERYTHING!! I NEED TO SEE OF LENA EVENTUALLY FORGIVES HANA AND WHAT HAPPENS TO HANA HOW IN THE FREAKING ARSE WORLD CAN YOU END A BOOK LIKE THAT LAUREN?!!! THERE MUST BE MORE! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY LIFE?! Yeah that ending was not okay by my standards. At all.
I would rate this book a 8.7 stars taking off 1.3 stars for the ending -_-

SPOILERS FOR ALEX BELOW 


By the Angel, so he got put into Lena's mom's old cell, that was some great irony there, soldier people.
Then he got beat for healing too fast D: and he thought about Lena like all the time :( This is my secret: she was the one who saved me. AWWWWWWW
So that's how Alex found Lena, Raven selling her necklace for a pregnancy test. Ugh  so Alex probably was SO excited to see Lena and for them to be reunited, and he finds her with Julian, the DFA image, yeah, no wonder he's hurt.
8/10 stars

SPOILERS FOR ANNABEL BELOW


So it's funny I always thought that Annabel got the pin from Conrad, but nope, she stole his wallet and that's how she received it. I found it really sad how MUCH Annabel loved Conrad and how he could never love her back. :( In the beginning, Annabel was really poor like she stole money and stuff. I didn't really have many thoughts on this novella because I was distracted by the fact of REQUIEM'S ENDING!
so I would rate this book a 7/10 stars, I didn't really find it necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment