Friday, August 1, 2014

Shatter Me Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi

Picture
So I read this series a week or so ago. It's a pretty good series, my favorite book would definitely be Ignite Me because these books get better as they continue on. I really didn't like Shatter Me, honestly, it was pretty boring and there was nothing in there that got me attached to the books and it wash' really funny, and I love the books with humor in them. I was considering not continuing this series because of how much I disliked Shatter Me, actually. But I heard they got better throughout the books so I bought Destroy Me, read that, then I bought Unravel Me and started getting more interested in these book. I would rate this series a 7/10 stars, not my favorite series but not my least favorite either (Maze Runner) anyway, here's the synopsis for Shatter Me.

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Everything in this book goes by so quickly, kinda like the Legend books, it is a fairly short trilogy but I wish it slowed down just a little to have given me time to adjust to these books. So if you haven't read this series, go read it before you continue reading this review, unless you like spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR SHATTER ME BELOW


So when I reading these books I was constantly comparing it to The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. Ruby and Juliette have a lot in common, for starters they both have very dangerous powers and they think they're monsters. I think I like Ruby better than Juliette though, she grew into herself quicker and realized that using her powers would be a lot more helpful to everyone instead of hiding from them, it took Juliette a little longer, like two books.

'A boy.
Dear god.
They're trying to kill me.'

"I thought they'd locked me up with a psycho."
"Funny. So did I."

So this whole book I was waiting to be sucked into the story, it just never happened, I was pretty disappointed with Shatter Me. I was wondering why Adam was in the cell with her, like what he was in for. I guessed Juliette knew Adam before, there were subtle hints all around it.
So I watched a few of Katytastic's videos and I heard about Warner from her that he was hot and the better choice etc. I knew that if that were true that there was something behind Warner's facade. Actually without hearing that I could tell there was something behind it, by the way he acted, but in this book I wasn't particularly liking him, I didn't dislike him though, either. Same with Adam, but I found him to be.... Too serious and too good, I like it when they have a rebellious side, and rebelling against Warner does not count.
I knew there was something wrong with Warner's mom from that moment Juliette tried to make that joke, but we don't find out more about that until book 3.
So all of the characters, for me, in this book just annoyed me, except for Kenji, they all just had these traits that bothered me.
"I've wanted to kiss you for so long." So Adam and Juliette have this instalove type thing and I don't think that there was really enough back story for them. He never talked to her and the closest thing to talking to her that he did was sit near her. I don't think that's enough of a back story for it, maybe if they spent a little more time together it would make more sense but they didn't. Like I get where Peeta was coming from in the Hunger Games, but it was just too SOON for Adam and Juliette. I feel like I was just thrown into this world and expected to understand it all, I thought that there needed to be more  introducing before they just start making out passionately in the shower halfway through a very short book.
I wanted to know how Adam and Warner could touch Juliette. Like were they related somehow? That was a question that passed through my head.
Like I've been saying this book was just too quick paced for my liking, I feel like Adam telling Juliette that he loved her was too soon.   They should have taken a little more time before just I love you! I love you too!

"You stole a car?"
"A tank."

Did anyone else notice that in these books they used tanks instead of cars? They only used a car once?

So I was already feeling bad for Warner by the end of this book, I could tell he wanted so desperately to be loved but no one could love him because of how he was.
I liked Kenji in this book but not enough to be attached to it.

"You do realize this wall is made of glass, don't you?"

So this book wasn't particularly funny, but it had it's funny parts. Like I've said before these books kinda reminded me of the Darkest Minds, except Ruby was able to piece herself back together, Juliette sort of just stays the same in this book. Warner kinda reminded me of Clancy but I do not see Adam and Liam on the same level never will. Adam just bored me, I couldn't get myself to like him.
I would rate this story a 4.8/10 stars, better than Bloodlines but defiantly not my favorite book.

SPOILERS FOR DESTROY ME BELOW 


I felt so bad for Warner in this book, you really got to KNOW him. Him trusting Delalieu made him seem a lot more human. I really like how neat and orderly he is (I'm a clean freak) and I loved the way he described his mind.
His DAD on the other hand sounds like an asshat.
When I found out Warner visited the compounds and asked about civilians I was just in a state of AWWW
"I've likely given the man a heart attack."
I liked how Warner let his soldiers steal food because it made them happier. Then how he killed Fletcher for beating his family, in Unravel ME I hated how he never told Juliette all the stuff he did with good reasoning while she's judging him about how it looked to her.
Haha when Warner decided to try coffee and Delalieu got so excited.
I really really wanted Warner to keep that dog, that would've been so cute.
This book made me really like Warner and understand him more.

SPOILERS FOR UNRAVEL ME BELOW


So I read on YouTube Adam has daddy issues and Warner has mommy issues, are they related? On Christine's Shatter Me book talk and I just could not get that idea out of my head since it had passed through my thoughts before.
I loved Kenji in this book, Warner and Kenji were the saving graces of this series, I think. Juliette just annoyed me a lot in the first too books. Like when she was hissing at Kenji to shut up when they were in the cafeteria while he was confessing his undying love, I would've just laughed.
"You guys playing footsie under the table or some shit?"
Adam was moody AF in these books and he's really mean to Kenji, like he says he's his best friend but elbows him in the face. He's just so MEAN to him, I don't understand how Kenji could stand being friends with that.
Okay so as a grammar freak it bothered me in these books how it said like 1 instead of one.
When Juliette started making out with Adam I was just like, something bad is going to happen, and YUP it did. Finally she does the selfless thing and breaks up with him for his own good.
Lol. Brendan likes her.
I LOVED how Warner threatened to shoot his dad for Juliette. And we find out Warner's name- Aaron.
I WAS RIGHT AARON AND ADAM ARE BROTHERS!
"I doubt my father even noticed I'm gone." I felt bad for Warner at that part.
'Mouthing holy shit over and over again' lol.
You could tell that Juliette was definitely attracted to Warner. I was flipping out when I thought Kenji might be dead, but luckily he's not.
Oh and BY THE FREAKING ANGEL JULIETTE you can't just have this passionate make out session with Warner while he opens up to you and everything then be like Oh yeah I like Adam better! NO! NO! That was so mean of her! Warner is defiantly a good buy who is in love because he saved her even after that happened.
So at the end of this book I made a pact with myself, if she chooses Warner I will buy all this trilogy in hardcover.
I would rate this book an 8/10 stars it was still quick paced but getting better.

SPOILERS FOR FRACTURE ME


Okay even though there was no way possible for Adam to know it, it still pissed me off when he thought it was Juliette who hurt Kenji. This book showed a meaner side of Adam that Juliette didn't see, and I didn't like that.
I also felt really bad for them when both Kenji and Adam blamed themselves for Juliette's death.
6.5/10 stars


SPOILERS FOR IGNITE ME 


I hated how Warner SAVED Juliette's life and she's being a total bitch to him.
I was laughing when we found out hey brought Juliette in in a body bag and at how aghast Juliette was.
"So he tells you he loves you... And you said? Thank you?"
I absolutely loved it showing Kenji and Juliette's friendship in this books, like it says they're best friends but you never really see proof of that in the past books.
By the Angel when Kenji giggled I was laughing so hard.
"Your loin passion is grossing out the little ones."
When Warner grins at Juliette even though he had six guns training on him, that boy really knows his priorities. Then when Adam is freaking out at Juliette when she finally stops being annoying and wants to fight back, ugh, Adam was a real ass in this book, I totally transferred to Team Warner in this book.
"This is not a funny moment. It's not. I'm not laughing."
Adam looked like he might punch Kenji in the face.

Like seriously Adam has anger issues, I understand where it come from, but he takes it overboard. If Warner can live with it so can Adam. Sure, I'll like slap my friends when we're joking but Adam takes it to a whole new level.
Out of all their powers Warner's is defiantly the coolest in my opinion, because, well, in a way he has all of their powers.
Adam was just being a moody ass in this book, I really stopped liking him all together here.

"I will push you off the roof."
"Yeah I can defiantly see why Adam wouldn't like you." See ? stuff like this, best friend banter, I liked seeing that.

"I will personally send Brendan over to kick you in the face."
"I'm not kicking anyone in the face."
"Kick yourself in the face, Brendan."
"I don't even know why we're friends."
Haha I love Brendan and Winston.

I wrote this after Adam yells at Juliette: "Adam just made a whole new level of asshole, it's called Adam Kent" and there are two people on this level, Anderson and Adam.

Lol I also wrote this about Warner "Aw he wants to kill Adam, that's so cute"  What? stop judging me. It was cute in the context, you have to read it to understand.
Ugh when you found out he whipped Warner on his birthday it's just like ADAM KENT LEVEL HERE ADAM KENT.
I felt so bad for Warner when he was telling Juliette he loves her at the medicine part.
"Awkward right?"
"Sooo awkward."

"Bad Juliette." Lol Kenji.

Ugh Juliette had to break up with Adam THREE times, seriously how many does it take to get the message, dude?
Kenjis not in love with her, though. I already asked him. Aw James is so cute.
Warner really reminded me of Klaus from TVD, 1. He calls her 'love' (KLAROLINE FOREVER) and 2. how he was raised and how he acts
Okay, so Warner and Juliette said Okay Okay, they were destined to be together.
Aw when Warner mom died I felt so bad for him.
Oh my god when Adam made Juliette tough Kenji I got so pissed off at him.
At Anderson's death I expected some epic battle, but nope, she breaks his ankles and then kills him. Wow. It was a very quick ending and as with a lot of dystopian trilogies I felt like it could use a few more chapters but it had a satisfying enough ending, unlike Requiem.
I would rate this book a 8.5/10 stars.
Sorry if this last review was a little rushed I'm hungry and want to get to eating lunch. Oh yeah! I got my shipment of books in yesterday :) as promised, I bought them in hardcover 

No comments:

Post a Comment