Thursday, August 7, 2014

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick


This book is so adorable, it's a Romance contemporary novel that I just couldn't tear myself away from (well aside for the beginning when I read one word and decided I should make  a legion of pickles to take up my fridge....) I would give this book a 9/10 stars, it was just such a cute and lovable romance story that just draws you in. It's about one family who's on the poorer side of things that's large and very tightly bonded, and another that has a few people in it, is fairly rich and not very close. Actually you know what? I suck at summaries, here's the official one. 

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

In all honesty I only put this book on my TBR list on goodreads because his name is Jase.... and that sounds just like Jace, which is kind of funny because Jase acts and looks nothing like Jace. I definitely like Jace better TBH, for those of you who have no idea who Jace is (gasp) he's Jace Wayland/Morgenstern/Lightwood/Herondale from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, which is my favorite series and I highly recommend it if you haven't read it. So if you haven't read this book I would suggest you don't read on because I'm going to spoil you, come back after you've read it ;) 

SPOILERS BELOW FOR MY LIFE NEXT DOOR


One of my first initial thoughts were, wow, her mom is a clean freak. Haha, which is kind of like me, my room is usually clean and pristine, I almost cried last time my friends got it messy. The only thing that's not clean is my bed, I never make it.... I always forget. From the beginning Clay was driving me insane and he was just so well, annoying and he was cheating on Sam's mom, and I just never liked him. 
George on the other hand, he was adorable I loved how he was always bursting with facts. I really liked the Garett family, they're really close and I respect that. My favorite Garett would probably be George or Alice, though I did really like Jase and I liked Joel even though we didn't get to know him very well. My favorite character in this whole book would have to be Tim, which is very fortunate since the next book in this 'series' is about Tim! I really liked Tim's story in this, how he was in a really dark place in the beginning of the story but was able to pull himself out, I respect that about him and he's just an awesome guy, his twin sister on the other hand, I actually never liked her. Especially after she made that first comment about everything being easy for Sam. I really value friendships and jealousy to that extent is just not something that I like at all, I find it amusing when people in a 'couple' are jealous like Daemon and Katy but not in friendships over something so petty like Sam having more money than Nan. I especially didn't like how Nan cheated, stealing her own brother's work and claiming it for herself, the minute that Sam found those files on Tim's computer I thought that Nan might've taken them from Tim. But then Nan just completely terminated her and Sam's friendship after that and told her she couldn't wait to get away from and her family and Sam. I just thought that was totally rude, mean and unnecessary. You can't just drop a friendship you've had for a lifetime that quickly, I really didn't like Nan for that. 
This book was funny, cute, adorable, cute, and did I mention cute? I thought it was hilarious how Patsy's first word was 'boob' next came 'poop' and then 'butt'. I also loved how Jase was an animal lover, I respect anyone who has a soft spot for animals, as of the fact that I myself love animals. When Alice threatened Sam I smiled because as you've probably figured out from my past reviews, I love over protectiveness especially from old siblings. 
When Jase (Sorry if I accidentally write 'Jace' instead of 'Jase' habits!) wanted to make sure that Sam liked his car? I was just in a state of awwwwww. Jase is defiantly a good guy, not a bad boy like Jace, but he's more cute than hot in my opinion. 
By the Angel, I was laughing so hard when Sam and Jase were having that passionate make out session and then George comes in with the cookies he'd bitten out of to 'make sure they were good'. 
I was so excited for Tim when he was starting to pull himself back up from where he'd fallen head first off the deep end, his story is just so likable and compelling, I defiantly enjoyed reading his parts the most, though I did really like Sam and Jase's romance it was really cute with a hint of forbidden love on Sam's side, and we all know how much I love forbidden and star-crossed love. 
The ending part, we all knew Sam was going to tell Jase eventually about her mom hitting his dad, but the time between was just so... interesting to read about. When Clay threatened her and made her break up with Jase, I already hated him but then he made her break up with Jase and I just lost it. Ugh. I'm so glad her mom finally saw sense and walked out on him. Literally. 
I felt Sam's awkwardness when she was trying to talk to Jase and Alice wouldn't let her in and then finally Jase comes out to talk to her and..... ahhh the awkward feels! 
This book had such a cute perfect ending, I can't wait until The Boy Most Likely To comes out because I love the characters Alice and Tim! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment