Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Picture
So I bought this book when I went on a trip to Target and Barnes and Noble. I've been meaning to read it for a while now because my friend loved this book, I was also kind of avoiding this book because I wasn't IN LOVE with Eleanor and Park. I wasn't IN LOVE with this book either, but I liked it better than Eleanor and Park. I would probably give this book a 7/10 stars. A lot of people say it's really relatable, I can see that, but this book just never really pulled me in. I don't know why, Rainbow's books never fully pull me in, I'm just partially interested in them, I'm not in love. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading and needs a cutesy book to read, though I would say read Anna and the French Kiss first. Here is the synopsis for Fangirl:

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? Open her heart to someone? Or will she just go on living inside somebody else’s fiction?

Simon Snow is the Harry Potter of this world. It's funny because I actually did watch Harry Potter today. A lot of people say Harry Potter was their childhood book, I wouldn't say that. It is a book series I really enjoyed in my childhood, but I don't know, it's between Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and Eragon, really. Anyway, I'm probably the last person on Earth to not have read this book, but if you haven't I suggest you leave now so I don't spoil you.

SPOILERS FOR FANGIRL BELOW


'Rapey' That cracked me up, she told Levi that she thought he might rape her. I thought that maybe Levi was Reagan's brother at first, but he was her best friend, which I liked because it's always fun to read about friendships (as long as there's a romance in the book too, and action doesn't hurt)
"So our narrator is gay... And he's named after me..." I really liked Nick at first, he seemed like a nice guy, but as the story progressed he lost my liking.
I did think that it was odd she wrote a fan fiction of the her paper, I understand that it's her life, and I did really enjoy writing fan fictions, in fact I'm thinking about continuing that story I stopped writing, thinking about, I wrote a bit for it today, but I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to post it, but I might. But she was so upset when Piper said she couldn't write fan fiction for her papers, and really I get that and I think Cath overreacted slightly.
I thought it was cool that Cath was okay with reading her story out loud to Levi, I could never read any of my stories out loud to someone, I'd find that too embarrassing, kind of like reading an ultra embarrassing passage from my diary out loud to someone, I couldn't do that either, my writing is a part of me and if someone is going to read it I prefer not to have to read it aloud to them, I don't know, I'm weird.
Did anyone else feel really bad for Cath? I mean she was loosing her best friend she'd known all her life- Wren. That's upsetting. Her first half of her first year in College didn't go that well. The second half was definitely better.
I felt bad for Levi when Cath was kind of making fun of him when he admitted he couldn't read books, but then she ended up reading to him and it was really cute. But then we all knew she was going to read to him and when they fell asleep together we all knew Reagan would walk in on them. That's what happens in books.
I wasn't sure what would happen when Cath went into the kitchen, but I definitely didn't expect for her to find Levi making out with another girl, I mean I guessed it was because she never texted him back and he was trying to get over her, but still, he should have tried a little harder, but then again after that she went out of her way to avoid Levi.
I thought Nick might like Cath, but that turned out just to be me liking love triangles. By the way, am I the only one who doesn't hate love triangles? I love all the tension that comes with them, well, as long as she chooses the right guy in the end. (ROSE HATHAWAY -_-)
One of my favorite scenes was when Cath met one of her fans. I'd love to meet someone who likes my writing, of course, I'm not sure if there is anyone who likes my writing anymore, but still I'd love to hear what they thought about everything and about my writing style etc.
It was sweet how Levi left work for her, but then he ruined it by telling her it was 'just a kiss' at the hospital.
I really liked Reagan's character, she's very blunt, straight forward, honest and she really does care for Cath and Levi. She's the type of friend that I would like to have.
So Levi and Cath say "Okay" "Okay" "Okay" "Okay" TFIOS-ING IT ALL THE WAY!!!
It's funny because I caught the Twilight reference and I haven't even read that book. And since I've been asked this before, I have no intention to read Twilight, so sorry.
I can see that most of Cath and Wren's problem was their pride. Neither one wanted to be the first to talk to the other, I get it, bu tI really wanted them to work it out, which they started to do in the hospital. I honestly didn't get why Wren didn't just agree to stop drinking, it almost killed her for Raziel's sake. I'm guessing the person to have dropped Wren off at the hospital was Courtney, and maybe Courtney liked Jandro or something. She probably slapped Wren or something, too.
I'm glad that Wren and Cath made up, it isn't easy loosing a best friend, I can only imagine how hard it would be to have to loose your twin.
'Reagan was looking at Nick like she was already tying him to railroad tracks.' Ah, Nick, what jerk. Not giving credit to Cath, then just coming over after months to talk to her about getting his story in a paper or something. Wow. Just wow, what an arse. I liked that she turned down Nick, even though it would be good for her future too.
It was so cute when Levi was like "I choose you over everyone." awkfhadbfslbdhif  SO CUTE. That was when she was saying if he got to know Wren that he'd choose her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment