Sunday, August 10, 2014

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Picture
THIS BOOK WAS SO FLIPPING GOOD! 10/10 stars and if you've read my other reviews, you'd know an 8/10 stars is good so 10/10 is amazingly awesomely astonishingly absolutely perfect. So you may be wondering how in the world I'm posting a review on a book that's not even out yet, here's the thing, Barnes and Noble seemed to have put it out early so I HAVE IT!! :D YAY!! I literally walked past it like 9 times before I saw it and I almost screamed of excitement in the bookstore- no joke. Like all of Stephanie's books, this book is an adorable romance where you KNOW what's going to happen in the end but it's not the end you want to read about, it's the journey that makes it interesting, oh by the Angel I did not just say that. Anyway this book is astoundingly amazing so if you haven't read it, go to a Barnes and Noble near you and pick it up, or just come back and read this review after you've read the book, it's the last book in Stephanie's 'series'- Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After. If you want to read my review on Anna and Lola click on the 'Stephanie Perkins' Category. I LOVED these books, they were so perfect, amazing for a book mourning period even though I just wanted to read Isla. These books are definitely my favorite romance books I've read.
Here's the synopsis for Anna, Lola and Isla. -- They're much better than their synopsis's I swear on the Angel Raziel.
Anna (Book 1)-

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming,beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

Lola (Book 2)-

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket--a gifted inventor--steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Isla (Book 3)-

From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.

If I were to order these books from favorite to least favorite it'd go like this

1. Anna and the French Kiss
2. Isla and the Happily Ever After
3. Lola and the Boy Next Door

Not that Lola is a bad book but I just liked Isla SLIGHTLY better and I just loved Anna and the French Kiss completely from the first time I read it. So if you haven't read this series go pick up Anna and Lola in the bookstore now (and Isla if you can find it)- the new covers because the old ones are hideous- and read them in time for Isla which is coming out in 5 days! Anyway if you haven't read Isla you'd better leave now and come back after you have because I don't want to be responsible for you being spoiled!

SPOILERS FOR ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER BELOW


So first off, it's Eye-la not Izla as I thought when I read Anna and the French Kiss. Second, yay I was right her love interest is Josh. I shipped them together before I even started the book. And then I read the first few pages. And then I totally fell in love with them as a couple.
Stephanie's books are the perfect combination of funny, cliche, cute and adorable. When I say cliche I mean it in the adorably cute manor. Like for funny- Isla had flicked a pen into Josh's head, I was laughing so hard at that.
I loved Kurt and Isla's on going joke thing like assrabbit, assweed, etc. I found it humorous. Please excuse me for saying stuff like adorable, aww, cute and lol continuously in this review, I just can't help the feels.
Isla is such an adorably awkward character in the beginning, very shy and meek, to scared to actually talk to Josh but Josh brings out a more.... brave side in her. I knew that Josh thought that Isla and Kurt were dating which is why I'm glad they cleared that problem away from like page 30.
I thought Kurt might like Isla because he really didn't like Josh and he wouldn't come back to the tree house after he found out Josh had been in it, but apparently he just felt like Josh was stealing Isla from him, which I understand.
We didn't really hear too much about Josh in Anna because Anna was more concentrated on St. Clair, we just knew he was an artist, had been going out wish Rashmi, was a year younger and screamed when he saw thin mints. (Pretty much) but we get to know him much better in this book, which I liked. So my book says it has cameos with Anna, St. Clair, Lola and Cricket, uh actually they only personally show up once which disappointed me because I was waiting a while to see them and we only see them once! :( But that once was good enough, we'll get to that later though.
It was interesting to see that this was happening between Josh and Isla at the same time as Lola and the Boy Next Door takes place, I laughed when Josh got that text from Etienne about actually getting a job. Before I forget to mention it- I love Etienne and Josh's friendship and their on going joke about being in love with each other (Don't tell Anna but I bought one for you too or something like that)
By the Angel, I thought that Josh and Isla's date was so cute, their first date is the one I'm talking about if you couldn't figure out. Their first kiss was on page 87 and I was drowning in the feels, and a second later Josh's chin slams into Isla's nose and it starts bleeding, then I was dying of laughter.
Is it wrong that I find it adorable that they have the same favorite dessert? (Creme brûlée) I found this whole book adorable, to be honest, I wouldn't say Josh is swoon worthy in a Jace Herondale/Daemon Black way but he's an adorable (there I keep saying it! Sorry!) guy who loves romance which I love him for. I also love that he loves (Oh dear Raziel I am going to be saying 'love' a lot too, apologies) art and is good at it, I appreciate art.
They said the 3 word, 9 letter saying on page 146, and no it was not I hate you, lol. And then Kurt comes in and ruins the moment, I was laughing so hard at that, he can join the walking in at the wrong time club along with Alec and Leon.
When Isla and Josh were talking about college and Kurt was being a jerk about it I literally whacked myself really hard in the head with the book, which hurt because it's a hardcover.
I think we all knew that Isla and Josh were going to get caught, I just didn't actually think he'd get kicked out of the school, it was rather depressing when he got kicked out, don't you think? "Let's start with it." AWWWW Josh W. is such a cutie. I don't get why, well, I do get why, Isla freaked out Josh saying he didn't have a girlfriend, but it was obvious he was just saying it for the reporters, I mean, if I can figure it out, so can she and it took her a while to.
When he gave her his comic I was just in a state of aww, but then she got all jealous of him and Rashmi and I was tempted to hit myself in the head with the book again because she's being really stupid it's the past, Isla, your his future. She got jealous of the past, even though she knew him and Rashmi had been together for a long time. I was kind of disappointed Rashmi didn't meet up with them all though, she, Mer and Anna seemed pretty close at the end of Anna and the French Kiss, I would've liked to see her again.
These books are so realistically embarrassing you can't help but feel embarrassed when Isla is talking to Josh about the 'rabbits' or Anna is getting all lovely with St. Clair- excuse me- Etienne.
I was probably almost as distraught as Josh and Isla were when they broke up, but not as distraught because I knew they'd get back together, Steph couldn't just leave the book with them separated it's not her style, which is one of the many reasons why I love her books so much. Though, I'll admit when Josh didn't come to the cafe I was upset but kinda expecting it.
I had mixed feelings about Hattie, but I ended up liking her in the end of the book, as you probably know why. When Josh called her and said he was with some friends I was flipping out because that could only mean one thing- THIS IS THE MOMENT I'D BEEN WAITING FOR ANNA LOLA CRICKET ETIENNE ARE ALL HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!- Yeah then I also got a ton load of the feels too because well, JOSH WAS IN PARIS! I was on a blissful high when they were all at the pizzeria, too bad it ended so soon, but then
ETIENNE PROPOSED TO ANNA ON POINT ZERO A VITAL POINT IN ANNA AND HIS'S RELATIONSHIP!! I was DYING literally of the feels there, okay maybe not literally but that was where I got the most feels in the book, I'm not even kidding I screamed in excitement. It was too bad that part was pretty much the last we saw of them besides their brief appearance on TV. I want more or them Steph! But that was really good, I won't lie, I was not expecting that I knew Anna and Etienne were forever but I didn't think I'd get to see them engaged so THANK YOU STEPH!
Aw but then Josh gave her the last part of his comic and told her to call him when she finished reading it, and while she was reading it I was still getting over the AnnaxEtienne feels but I still thought it was adorable but Josh was WAITING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD FOR HER TO BE DONE afwnoifropbfjeguvefhihvfuwfbkfvfwiwh too cute. Their romance was just such an adorable relationship that you can't help but fall in love with, just like all of Stephanie's books, I seriously recommend it if you ignored my warnings and read this even though you haven't read these books. Anyway I'll see you guys next time :)
(My book talk video should be up soon ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment