Monday, July 7, 2014

Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman

I would rate this book a 6/10. It wasn't my favorite, but I enjoyed it... kinda. Like there were some parts I totally loved, but others I got bored and just wanted to put it down. So I finished this book a couple of hours ago, and the ending..... that bothered me. And I KNOW from watching a youtube video that Just One Year (Which I have bought) is just from Willem's POV. I didn't especially like Willem, the books I love have a boy I really like, like The Mortal Instruments (Jace, Jordan, Alec etc.) The Infernal Devices (Will) Lorien Legacies (Nine) The Lux Series (Daemon, Dawson, Adam, Andrew) etc. Most of my favorite books, if not all of them all have male characters that I really like. Willem was OKAY.... I guess. I'm just not his biggest fan. I'm not really sure how I feel about Allyson though. I hated how Willem called her Lulu. I'm sorry if any Lulu-s are reading this, but I just don't think it fitted her. I just wanted Allyson to be like, "By the way, my real name is Allyson." Though I really liked how the relationships really grew in this. So if you haven't read this, and your like me, and enjoy the occasional romance (Or just like Romances) I think you'll like this book. Also Gayle wrote If I Stay, I haven't read that but I've heard it's good. So go read this book if you haven't then you can come back and read my reaction. 
 
Spoilers below. 
I liked at the end how she says "Hi I'm Allyson" Not like "I'm Lulu! That girl from that one day last year where we made out and had sex then you left me the next morning, but if there was any confusion then let's clear that up right now because I've been thinking of you all year." 
Yeah, how awkward would that be? 
So the part where she's like mourning him at College? I thought that was pretty boring. I really expected Willem to show up randomly like when they went to Mexico I really expected him to be at that party or he just was going to the same college as her or something like that. 
Would YOU go with some stranger ALONE to Paris? Like I didn't find that realistic. 
He did seem to be flirting with a lot of different girls. That bothered me. It also bother me HOW jealous Allyson got. It was really annoying. It was like Katy and Ash but like, to a more annoying level.  I didn't find the relationship like got build that well? Like it was REALLY fast. I know there are those love at first sight thing, but they warmed up to each other really quickly.
It was a cute book though, how she went on that search to find him? Every time I was like HES RIGHT THERE but nope. nope. nope. I want to know what happens next, but at the same time I don't like I am kinda okay with how it ended. I didn't get as attached to it as I did to the Spectacular Now, The Fault in Out Stars, and The Last Song, but it was still pretty good. 
When Willem 'ditched' Ally the next morning. I was just like WTF I thought this was a Romance. I know a lot of people said this was emotional, I am not a book crier. It didn't give me much emotion at all. I just sorta thought 'oh well..' But I did feel really bad for Ally and the pain she was going through after Willem 'left' I'm kind of interested to see what happened from Willem's POV. 
So the last book, Just One Night comes out May 29, TWO DAYS after City of Heavenly Fire. I will still be freaking out. 
So what did you guys think of this book? did you like it? Was it okay? I  just didn't feel the relationship very much. but yeah, sorry if you liked it. 
This is a sequel to Just One Day. It's what happened after that day from Willem's Point of View. If you read my last review (below) then you'd know this wasn't my favorite novel. I'd rate this book maybe a 5.8/10 stars. There were parts in it that I got excited, that kind of linked the two books together, but other parts I just got bored of. Like when I went to sleep this morning, I wasn't desperately wanting to read the next chapter. I more of wanted the book to be over. So, not my favorite, but it's defiantly better than some books I've read. 

Spoilers below


So like I said before on my other review, I wasn't Willem's biggest fan. Though, this book made me like him, a little bit more. I felt kind of bad for him, how he got a concussion and couldn't find Lulu. Like the last book I really liked how his relationships grew, especially with his mom, though I was a little disappointed when he said he wasn't going to go live with her. 
So Willem wakes up and can't exactly remember where Lulu is. I was kind of hoping it would be like a 'I can remember her smile and blah blah but can't exactly remember her' story. But I guess that would ruin the whole point of him looking for her. 
The whole memory thing makes me interested and pissed at the same time. Like with Ruby and Liam, I was really interested with watching Liam struggle with his memories, and I feel like it would be kind of that way with June and Day. Ugh I hated the ending of Champion. 
So the last book, Just One Night comes out in 4 days, I don't think I'll be reading it the same day it comes out. 
I know a lot of people liked this book, but I just didn't feel especially attached to any of the characters. When I read a book, one of the things that makes me like it is if I can relate or at least feel attached to some of the characters. Sometimes it takes more than one book which is why I read this book, but I still don't feel the attachment. It was an OKAY book. 
I did like how Willem went and SEARCHED for Lulu, he didn't just give up immediately. And when he did give up, he was still searching. I honestly thought that in Just One Day, somehow Allyson had gotten prego because of how she was feeling, and the was one of the reasons she had to hunt Willem down, because she was carrying his child. I think that would be interesting, lol. 
I loved how he went to Mexico to look for her, but never seemed to be in the right place at the right time. That also irritated me. There are only so many times that can happen before I get bored. I was like JUST MEET ALREADY by the end. There were some inspirational quotes that I liked in this book.
SORRY IF YOU LIKED THIS SERIES NO OFFENSE INTENDED 

No comments:

Post a Comment