Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead


Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Remember when I said I was avoiding this series because I didn't want to read another series where I didn't know all the words? That was a lie, I avoided this book series because 1. Sorry but Vampire Academy sounds really stupid and 2. because my friend made fun of me when I said I wanted to read this series. Yeah so thanks a lot C!!!!
So I freaking loved this series, it was amazing. I would rate the whole series all together 9.8/10 stars, yeah it was that good. Okay so this series has one of the most retarded (sorry!) names I've ever heard but it's actually really good. So if you haven't read it go read it. Now. Because it's one of my favorite books and I LOVE this series.
Here's the synopsis

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever
_________________________________________________
That synopsis doesn't actually sound like at all like the book, but just go and read the book, it's good.
One of the things I loved about this series is that there's no main antagonist besides like the strigoi so you're kinda left with some surprise on who is the main antagonist in the book. My favorite book in the series is Spirit Bound, but my favorite part is the fight scene at the end of Blood Promise. My least favorite book is probably Frost Bite.
My favorite characters are Adrian, Lissa, Christian and Rose. My one complaint is that the relationships move really fast like how they fall in love way too quickly or make up kinda fast, except for Lissa and Christian's relationship, I thought that was timed well.
So if you haven't read the book go read it now and come back and read the review, because trust me, you DON'T want to be spoiled in this series.


SPOILERS FOR VAMPIRE ACADEMY

Okay so sorry if I don't always mention anything in the beginning because I usually forget to take notes until AFTER I start the book. Anyway, I really liked Christian, he has black hair and blue eyes and just like Magnus Bane, it's my favorite combination.
Dimitri is one of those characters that I don't love but I don't not like (great grammar right?)  Like he's just too... Good and responsible, I prefer the bad boys TBH. Except for Cricket. I loved Cricket.
All the dead animals was really gross, especially the one on her bed, I would probably pass out if I found a dead animal on my bed. Because 1. I love animals 2. There would be blood all over my bed.
Mia was a real bitch in this book, but in books with High School in them there usually is one.
"No I think it's hot." Ah I was dying at that, I loved Christian from the beginning. "And what I did to Ralf won't seem like anything."
It was obvious when Jesse found out that Lissa had been feeding off of Rose that he was going to tell everyone I'm not sure why Rose thought he wouldn't.
Another thing Christian related that I loved was his relationship with Lissa, since I like both of them I LOVE THEM TOGETHER. They're just such a cute couple.
It was so obvious that Mason liked Rose, but also obvious it wouldn't work out since she was already sorta into Dimitri, which is sad because Mason is so cute and sweet.
I did not like it when Rose told Christian that Lissa thought he was creepy, but I knew that was going to happen because.... well... I saw the movie first. A good thing about me watching the movie was when I watched it, it was online and the faces were really blurry so I could imagine the characters however I wanted without the Actor's face in my head.
I noticed from the start that Lissa had really powerful compulsions, like I've seen The Vampire Diaries, lol, and in that only the Originals can compel other vampires. BTW I like the Originals better than the Vampire Diaries, if any of you are TO or TVD fans, TVD just sorta got too complicated. Plus
(SPOILER)
Damon died so yeah I'm still upset about that

(SPOILER OVER)
It was obvious that even though Christian was being an ass to Lissa that he still liked her but he was hurt by what Rose said.
I thought that it was funny when Dimitri said he beat up his Moroi father. I liked him better after they talked about his dad, but I still didn't like like him, he's just too... serious isn't the right word, but that's the one I'm going to use. I bet Mason is going to die because everyone says that the Covenant Series is a rip off of this one and
(SPOILERS)

Caleb dies

(SPOILERS OVER)

I see the similarities, but I'm going to give Jen the benefit of the doubt and say she hadn't read the Vampire Academy Series while writing the Covenant Series. But we'll get to the comparing those two series in another blog post.
By the Angel, when Mason protected her when like the other people were all calling Rose a blood whore and slut and stuff I just thought that was SO cute. Then when she said "Tell him I'm sorry" I was like AHAHHHHHHH FEELS.
The whole thing with Lissa like turning everyone against Mia for Rose, like you could see she had good intentions but it turned her into someone else. Then Christian accused her of faking her feelings for Aaron (which she was) and kissed her and I just can't even describe how I was feeling then. Lissa and Christian are definitely my OTP for this book series. But then Lissa told Christian she hated him and slitted her wrist so that ruined the moment. Just a little.
'Ralf looked kind of like he wouldn't have minded' 😂 I was laughing so hard at that part. 
When Christian went after Lissa when she ran away from the dance, awwww, but then Christian got whacked in the head and Lissa got captured, they didn't really get a long happy moment really in this book, did they? 
"You're so beautiful it hurts me sometimes." DYING. 
"I'm a stowaway." Haha, Christian. 
The part where they saved Lissa from Victor and then Lissa drank from Rose to heal Christian was one of my favorite scenes in the book. 
"I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you." Even though I don't ship Rose and Dimitri I was STILL crying on the inside about that line. 
Overall I would rate this book a 9.9/10 AMAZING. 


SPOILERS FOR FROSTBITE


Okay to start this out, why in Raziel's name is it called Frost Bite? Like I get all the other names... kinda, except Frost Bite. 
"I figured you'd have taken it and run by now." ðŸ˜‚ When Dimitri pulls out the stake.
It was obvious to everyone, well, me, that Rose's mother really did love her, just in her own tough love way. And it was also obvious that Tasha liked Dimitri, sorry, Dimka, from the beginning too. I liked Tasha in this book, she was fun and nice. 
I thought that even though Lissa and Christian were officially together in this book that Lissa should still find some time to talk to her, I mean, they're best friends and Rose started keeping a lot from Lissa in this book, how she was feeling about Dimitri and all that stuff. I feel like if Rose had talked to Lissa about it she would feel less of a burden. I also get why Rose was jealous of Christian, it's normal, Lissa isn't all hers anymore. 
When Rose got dragged into Lissa's head when her and Christian were about to have sex I was just laughing 'it'd be like loosing my virginity virtually'. 
I was so scared for Mason when he fell on the ski slope, since I had a theory about him dying I was like flipping out, though him dying on the ski slope was pretty unlikely. 
I knew that there was an Adrian in Frost Bite and he'd be the main third point of the love triangle in the series so when that Moroi talked to her about her smell I was like ADRIAN and I was right. 
I think it was  cute when Rose kissed Mason but I felt like she was just using him because she couldn't be with Dimitri, which, to be fair, she was. 
I didn't know Adrian was a Spirit User yet but when they shared a dream I was ecstatic since I already loved Adrian's character. I like Adrian more but it's obvious that Rose is going to choose Dimitri because the protagonist always pick their first love
Clary and Jace
Bella and Edward
Tessa and Will 
Tessa and Jem
Ruby and Liam (IF SHE SOMEHOW ENDS UP WITH CLANCY FREAKING GRAY I AM GOING TO BURN IN THE AFTER LIGHT) 
Alex and Aiden 
Katy and Daemon
June and Day
IDK who Cassie is going to choose but I hope it's Evan unless Ben improves
Percy and Annabeth
Hazel and Frank (I do not count Leo as a first love since that was Sammy)
etc. 
I felt bad for Mia when her parents were killed and it reminded me of when LEA's parents were killed in Halfblood. 
I had a theory on Adrian being a spirit from the minute he started having an interest in talking to Lissa, and I was right. Then he sent Rose perfume and I was just awwwww. 
'Good god. Men everywhere." Lol
"That guy's your dad?" 
"That's what my mom says." 
and THAT is one of the reasons I love Adrian he's hilarious (it was more funny if you actually read it in the book)
I didn't want her to dump Mason when she went to go and break up with him but I didn't want her going out with him because she didn't actually like him, yeah, conflicting emotions. When Mason's roommate said he wasn't there I immediately thought what if he's with Mia? and he was, just not in the way I thought, he, Mia and Eddie had gone to fight Strigoi, like idiots. I predicted from there that Mason was going to die. 
So I was flying to Iceland while reading this book so when I read that Christian was going with Rose I wrote this 'Christian better not freaking die or I will hurl this kindle across this plane and scream' it's good he didn't die because that would be a little awkward to explain. 
"Well, um, you see this fictional boy that I like died in the book I was reading, sorry for making you go to the hospital because my kindle fire hit you in the head, I'm sure that's not what you wanted to do when you came to Iceland." 
When Adrian contacted her through a dream to find her though..
I KNEW Mason wouldn't leave her when she told him to run, even though I knew he was going to die that doesn't mean I wasn't really sad hen he did die. 
I liked Mia and Rose's half friendship, it was cute but it kinda reminded me of Lea and Alex's sorta friendship so I thought Mia would probably die. 
8.5/10 stars 
SPOILERS FOR SHADOW KISS BELOW


She was virtually having sex with Christian again. ðŸ˜‚
So we didn't really know anything about Eddie because he didn't have anything to do with the story line before but now we really meet him in this book and I really liked him. When Rose got Christian to protect I was laughing so hard. 
"Picking out curtains, doing each other's hair, telling ghost stories...." 
Both Christian and Rose are jealous of each other's connection to Lissa which I found kinda funny. And IDK why this is so weirdly spaced, I apologized that I have no idea how to change it back.
"You  did not just say that. I have a feeling we're on the verge of hugging and coming up with nicknames for each other." 
"I already have a nickname for you, but I'll get in trouble if I say it in class." 


____________
"I think you have a promising future as a housewife while Lissa worlds and makes millions of dollars." 
"Funny, exactly my dream." 
____________
I could tell that Christian was jealous of Adrian from the beginning. It was obvious that the whole thing with Jesse was a set up so I was like DON'T GO WITH HIM and smart Christian didn't though, it wasn't really a set up and it wouldn't work that well on him since he sucked at compelling people. 
Rose had a fangirl ðŸ˜‚ Jill. Brett Ozera? I didn't realize the Ozera's had any other family so I was surprised to hear the name. So someone was beating up the royals and I was like, was is Mason's ghost? but yeah I was WAY off. Hey look, the formatting got back to normal. Yay, Adrian got them into the trial. I love him. 
When she got that head ache I literally wrote 'Oh shit what does this headache mean.' 
Like I said before I really like Eddie, but I feel bad for him since he blames himself for Mason's death. 
Tatiana seemed like a bitch but she wasn't to Adrian apparently. 
Like I also said earlier I think the relationships move really fast in these books like Adrian loves Rose really quickly and I feel like Dimitri did too I think it would be better if Richelle worked up to it a little more. I was surprised when Mia and Rose hugged. 
"It's called persuasion not harassment." 
It's really obvious as I said earlier that Christian does't like Adrian because he is jealous of him and Lissa, and I gotta admit that Adrian and Lissa would be a cute couple but I love their relationship already, it's kinds older brotherly which I find really cute. I always wanted a protective older brother (I've said that way too many times)
"And I'm her favorite great nephew. Well, I'm her only great nephew, but that's not important. I'd still be her favorite." 
Ugh Victor and his note. -_-
"I'd do a lot of things to protect you, Roza." Aw, still team Adrian though. 

When they did the tarot card thing and Dimitri's said he would loose what what he most valued I thought it meant Rose but nope it was his SOUL. 
When the ice storm happened and they and to land in the regular air port I was like SOME MOROI MADE THAT AND THEY'RE GONNA BE ATTACKED! but no... Rose was just attacked by some ghosts. 
I didn't like how they were kind of treating Lissa like a little innocent puppy, oh she can't know this it'll hut her. Sometimes not knowing things will hurt her too. 
"Then you'll never see us again and we'd be very sad." 
"Yes," said Christian. "I'd cry into my pillow every night." 
______________________________________________________
Ugh Jesse and Ralf's club is retarded. They attack people to see if they can compel them? Ugh. 
Aw they said they loved each other (Dimitri and Rose) heck, I STILL prefer Adrian. 
It's so funny Adrian and Rose have this intense moment when they're ABOUT to kiss then the bell rings and 
"Now I can see Lissa," Adrian says happily. 
_____________________________________________________
The Strigoi are on campus but looking on the bright side Rose finally got her stake. 
I was SO scared Christian would die when he was fighting with Rose, like I'm always scared Christian will die, sometimes I swear authors kill people just to piss their fans off lol (VERONICA!!!) 
The first thing I thought after the battle was over was IS EDDIE OKAY?! and no. he wasn't but luckily they saved him. But lost Dimitri in the process. I've realized from these books that Richelle sets the books up then around 70% in she adds the main fight and the action, did you notice?
"When you come back, will you give me a fair shot?" I was feeling like crying for Adrian at that point.. 
But then I was ACTUALLY on the verge of tears when Lissa had begged Rose to stay, ugh I hate it when friendships break up, even though theirs didn't it was just really sad. 
9.5/10 stars
 


SPOILERS FOR BLOOD PROMISE BELOW


"You're the only one I want, Rose." Seriously , I would SO give up on Dimitri for Adrian.
So in that prophecy she got about her and the dead I was like okay this is going to be a big thing, not really, she calls upon the dead once accidentally to help her in a Strigoi.
So we meet Sydney in this book, I didn't know much about the Bloodlines series, but I knew that Sydney was the main character of it so I paid close attention to her in the VA series.
Haha, ironic that she went out to go and kill Dimitri and ends up staying with his family.
So when Avery is all nice to Lissa all these alerts went off in my brain IS SHE TRYING TO SET HER UP TO LOOK BAD? IS THIS SOME TYPE OF PLAN?! yeah, I'm that paranoid about my books.
When Yeva made Rose carry garden bricks I was laughing my head off.
Ugh then Rose started acting all bitchy and she like started yelling at Adrian over the dream about Avery and stuff, like I get she's taking away Lissa's anger but I was upset when she yelled at Adrian.
I got really mad when Rose got captured by Dimitri I just wanted her to kill him because it was what he wanted plus I like Adrian... (she says guiltily.)
I was SO upset when Christian and Lissa broke up like What? what? no this isn't happening.
So (Apologies I say 'so' and 'lol' way to often) I had this crazy idea that Oksana was Avery's MOM and that Avery was a spirit (after Rose got kicked out of Lissa's head) well, half that crazy theory was right, but the whole mom thing was a little too far out there.
When Rose killed Dimitri I was almost cheering but then I was like, wait a minute Rose can see the dead, is that how she and Dimitri are going to continue come of their relationship? Nope he just wasn't dead. Okay then.
This book kinda bothered me because of Rose's separation from Lissa also because she was stuck with Dimitri for a really long time.
So I figured out Avery was a spirit before they said it, but when she was trying to get Lissa to jump out of the window I was like SOMEBODY KILL THIS BITCH then I added Adrian maybe? lol.
'And that's when something truly beautiful happened. Lissa socked him in the nose.'
this was my favorite scene for  a lot reasons one of them begin it's easy for like Rose to fight because that's what she's trained to do but Lissa? she's never fought before so it was fun to read.
I have no idea why but I found it funny that they were all trying to compel Simon to do different things.
When we found out Victor's brother was a spirit user I was just like OHHH that's how he knew so much about spirit. But I read it wrong and thought Robert was BONDED to a spirit user not a spirit user, hey give me a break I was jet lagged in Iceland, as opposed to being jet lagged in America, lol.
So I thought oh Abe must be her dad or know her dad because he obviously cares for her and then CALLED IT! I love being right, I'll admit it.
"There was poetry in that motion." I love how proud Rose if of Lissa punching Reed.
"But I dropped out."
"Then drop back in!"
______________
Okay
Okay
ADRIAN AND ROSE SAID IT!
Ugh when we found out Dimitri was alive I was just like NOOOO I want Rose and Adrian together.

9/10 stars

SPOILERS FOR SPIRIT BOUND
I love watching people who are still in love with each other sorta edge around the other so I found this book hilarious for Christian and Lissa's relationship (still my OTP for this series I just predicted they'd be back together sometime). It's funny that they both got so jealous when the other talked to anyone of the opposite sex.
'And by girl stuff I mean breaking and entering.' You got it, Rose, it's my favorite thing to do, how'd you know?
Ugh I didn't want them to break Victor out JUST LEAVE DIMITRI AND STAY WITH ADRIAN HE'S AMAZING but obviously that wasn't going to happen.
"Did you know," He said slowly. "That Victor Dashkov is sitting on your bed?" Ah I loved the break out scene it was awesome. Though, I'm disappointed that they never went back to the mental place to check out the spirit users there, I thought since Richelle mentioned it that she would weave that back in, but she didn't, though when I heard there were spirit users there I was like AVERY IS THERE.
I felt so bad for Adrian because she was only with him because she couldn't be with Dimitri and she'd dump him in the blink of an eye if Dimitri said he loved her.
"Gentle girl or drunken sod?" Lol.
So they mentioned how Eric went to like the strip club or something so why would Richelle mention that if it wasn't important?
Ah Christian is suspicious of Rose, good smart boy.
Christian offers to go and teach Lissa how to stake strigoi so he can be around her aww but Rose 'Oh I'll teach them how to fight, starting with punching Christian in the face' lol. She says something similar about Serena.
I really like that Lissa wants to learn to fight, I don't want her to be helpless.
"You knocked out Reed Lazar. Rose mentioned it, like, a hundred times. I've never heard her so proud of something."
'Punching Reed Lazar had been a beautiful thing.'
Aw when Christian shielded her with his body I was practically drowning in the feels.
'She increased the stakes- no pun intended'. lol
When Christian brought the ring of fire around Dimitri and Lissa stuck her arm through it to try and stake him it was so intense.
Oh right, when Lissa and Christian were training together ahh hilarious, so much sexual tension.
"It would take a lot for that to change." and then she lay against his chest and he whispered happy birthday to him. I WAS drawing in the feels there.
When Dimitri was describing being strigoi it reminded me of Jace in City of Lost Souls, he was there but not really.
Christian still being really protective of Lissa THE FEELS THE FEELS
As I've said before Lissa and Adrian have a really cute brother/sister relationship and I would have liked to see more of that, heck I kinda just want the whole series to have another series of the same thing from Lissa's point of view.
Not-so-subtle mask, nice job Christian.
'Adrian apparently got the passwords for half the party' lol I feel bad for the guard people they have to like memorize all the passwords.
'Okay, it was hard for me to imagine him involved with anyone. His getting together with Lissa was monumental.'
"It's not my fault I'm a genius."
Ugh she keeps betraying Adrian for Dimitri STOP IT ADRIAN LOVES YOU!!!!!
Her screaming at the queen was a bad rash move on Rose's part.
Rose and Adrian get back together but she's eventually going to choose Dimitri I'll bet on it :(
"That was the best not-sex ever."
"There's only one person I have ever wanted." I just died of the feels.
9.9/10 stars

SPOILERS FOR LAST SACRIFICE 
I felt really bad for Adrian off the bat, his great-aunt is dead and his girl friend- whom he loves- is in prison and will drop him at the first sign that Dimitri wants her back.
I didn't believe Adrian was out drunk for a minute so the real question was where was he really and what were they moving too fast on?
"Breaking out of jail is okay. But steal a car, and you sound totally outraged."
Okay I thought Rose was being an idiot when she ran away but it wouldn't be nearly as interesting a book if she just sat in West Virginia, actually, she could meet Daemon and Katy!
When Joshua proposed to her and then Angeline was like 'Fine you can marry my brother' I was dying of laughter.
I thought that when Angeline ran off into the woods to cry that she would follow them or something but nope, though she does have a part in the bloodlines series, a kinda annoying part.
Yay when Lissa got nominated by her friends to be queen I was cheering in my head, though, not out loud that's be awkward because I was on a plane to London.
Lissa is smart so I knew she'd be able to pass the tests and that eventually she'd probably became queen.
After hearing so much about Mrs. Karp we finally meet her, she's a lot younger than I thought she was.
GO LISSA! (When she lights the fire)
"You can call me Lissa."
"You can also let go of her hand now."
"I've seen you too. Ozera. Crispin, right?" ðŸ˜‚
_________________________________________________
"So what brings you and Christopher here?"
"CHRISTIAN."
___________________________________
I was really suspicious of Daniella about killing Tatiana but it seemed like the obvious choice so obviously it wasn't her (did that make any sense?)
"Oh and Kreskin too."
The fight between Sonya and Robert was pretty intense since they both know their spirit abilities.
Lissa's dream was like her own fear serum.
When they were talking about Liss's sibling Jill was actually my first guess because of a line that caught my attention back in Spirit bound about Lissa kinda reminding her of Jill, but how awesome would it be if Adrian was Lissa's sibling?
I'm STILL not really sure if I like Jill as a Dragomir I kinda found her a little annoying.
"Make a toga out of a blanket?"
Poor Eddie, he was just doing his job of protecting Lissa.
I was FLIPPING out at Rose when she cheated on Adrian, it pissed me off so much I can't even put it into words.
Victor's death seemed really swift to me, like he's always been a villain hovering in the background since book 1 so it was surprising finally seeing him dead, but poor Robert.
For the question about the queen my first answer was Trust but apparently the answer is nothing.
Ugh Rose just used Adrian :( Poor Adrian :*(
'Under the irrational assumption that anyone in nice clothes must be royal and all royals hated Lissa' LOL
Aw Sonya and Mikhail reunited that was so cute.
When Adrian saw Dimitri kiss Rose's head I was so sad for him.
The killer was so obviously not Daniella because they were avoiding saying his/her name, but I was not expecting it to be Tasha, that was a big plot twist for me, poor Christian though.
Then poor Adrian after his fight with Rose.
I don't like that their bond is broken, and as I predicted Lissa became queen. At the end of this book I'm still unsure of how I feel about Jill and I was very unsatisfied with the ending of this book, I WANT MORE ROSE LISSA ADRIAN AND CHRISTIAN. Really that's the only reason I read the Bloodlines series, but we'll get to my review on that series later. I would rate Last Sacrifice 9.8/10 stars it was really good.


Here's the Vampire Academy Movie Trailer 
I am not going to post a review on the movie because 
1. I saw the movie with a crappy quality 
2. I skipped a lot of it when I saw it
3. I just spent four hours on this and I'm jet lagged and I want to see my friends :)
See you guys next time, 
~Bookfanic

No comments:

Post a Comment